Internet behaves weirdly with online games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katana

Well this is an odd one for ya...my internet works perfectly fine all day long without even the slightest problems. I can play Age of Conan (MMO) all day long without problems as well. Yet the odd parts come in when I attempt to play any of my 3 FPS (first person shooter) games.

--- Return to Castle Wolfenstein ---
  • Occasionally the Server-List will display only 1-2 servers, both with high pings.
  • Ping is higher than before on all servers as well. Most are 100+ ping when they used to be around 25-40.
  • Remedy is to reset the modem.

--- Counterstrike: Source ---
  • All servers on the server-list have abnormally high ping. Even ones that on my old internet setup had about 40-ish ping are 200+.
  • Can't connect to the majority of the servers.
  • Sometimes it will connect to the server and as soon as I enter give me connection interrupted.
  • Remedy is to reset the modem.

--- Call of Duty 4 ---
  • Ping seems to be okay, though I didn't have the game with my old internet setup, so I have nothing to compare it with.
  • Will connect to the server perfectly fine, but after about 10 minutes of gameplay I will get Connection Interrupted, the lights on my modem will all light up, and then half will shut off followed about 2 seconds later by the other half of the lights shutting off. The modem will then reset itself, reestablishing a connection in about 30 seconds.
  • Remedy....none....

Not sure if this is a common problem with Netgear Modems or not, but it is pretty frustrating. Any help is appreciated.

Which Netgear Modem are you using? What was you using prior and did you have the same problem? Otherwise sounds like the Modem has a problem. Sometimes it's not the Modem but your ISP throttling back on the bandwidth.

If you have a shared connection (home network or some sort of a local network), other people within this network can be doing things which slow your connection down.
If you are connected wireless, it can happen that your ping goes bad (caused by rain or other funny stuff), which you won't recognize while browsing the internet - 100 ms delay isn't so much you could really see it, also the MMO games could handle this lag easier than fps games.

Which Netgear Modem are you using? What was you using prior and did you have the same problem? Otherwise sounds like the Modem has a problem. Sometimes it's not the Modem but your ISP throttling back on the bandwidth.

Currently using Netgear CG814GCMR (not sure if that tells you anything, but that's what's written on the outside of it).

Prior to this I was using something called the Motorolla SURFboard.

The previous connection on the Motorolla did not have the same problems, though I never played COD4 on the previous connection. CS:S and RTCW definitely didn't act the way they do now.

If you have a shared connection (home network or some sort of a local network), other people within this network can be doing things which slow your connection down.
If you are connected wireless, it can happen that your ping goes bad (caused by rain or other funny stuff), which you won't recognize while browsing the internet - 100 ms delay isn't so much you could really see it, also the MMO games could handle this lag easier than fps games.

I'm connected via a hard-line, but my other computer is using this connection as well through wireless.

I'm connected via a hard-line, but my other computer is using this connection as well through wireless.
make sure the other computer isn't working with internet while you are playing the game - turn it off.
then if it keeps disconnecting, the problem could be in:
- your connection in general which would be weak/instable (which shouldn't really happen if it's a dsl)
- your system, like multiple antiviruses, firewals or residentals running by the same time, infected pc etc (but you're saying the problems appeared with a new connection so... )
- maybe some hardware issue or wrong setting of the modem

that's all i can think of, somebody else could have a better idea...

Okay, thanks, I'll try turning off the other PC while I'm gaming and see if that helps any.

EDIT: Turned the other PC off and got the same results.

Well it shouldn't matter if the internet is connected to these wired or wireless devices. Connections as you have said prior modem worked, but the combo modem and router is giving you issues. Using the modem and router would be better to use and plus wired switches to be less tasking on the main wireless router.

modem - wireless router - wired switch ---- nodes connected to this switch PC1, PC2, PC3, PC4, PC5, PC6, PC7, on Port 8-uplink Wireless Access Point

Trouble you're having is with the modem wireless router (not sure which model you have) Is that N or G model?

modem/router -- switch still should be used to balance everything.

Well I can deal with all of the other things, but what really frustrates me is the COD4 issue. The modem completely resets itself and takes a good 30 seconds to a minute to work even on my browser. If I look under Network Connections during this downtime, it says that I'm connected and have 100Mbps...what could be causing this?

Just wanted to let you guys know that there ended up being a problem with the modem itself, and Charter replaced it with a new one. None of the aforementioned problems exist anymore. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back