internet choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecc83

Hi I have a pc (xp) networked to this one (LAN) and I use it mainly for music recording applications. Consequently I would like it not to find the internet unless I tell it to. A lot of help files in music app's just open a site willy nilly.
There are times when I need it to be on the web for drivers etc but most of the time not.
I have looked at "fast user" switching but am not sure how to go about setting up the various client parameters.
Valves I am fine with, pc's, not so hot.
First time here.
Dave.

I may be less capable than you which will explain my suggestion.
If I don't want Internet acess or interference, I just unplug power to my DSL modem (external).
Good luck

Hi Bigbrat41, yup that would do it! But you see I sometimes want to follow some instruction on the net for a music app on the other pc, but, I do not want that machine bouncing around the World as I do so. To forestall the next suggestion, I want to keep the network link, just not the internet.
Dave.

If your default browser is Internet Explorer, you can try this:

Go to Control Panel->Internet Options->Connections tab
There, click on 'Lan Settings' button and in the dialog box that opens, check the option 'Use a proxy server...' and set the address as 127.0.0.1
Also check the option' Bypass proxy for...'
If u have a dial-up connection, u should do the same for that connection.
This will disable access to the internet through IE, which most programs will open to access the internet. Thus, those proggies won't be able to connect and ur machine won't bounce around the net.

Then install another browser, say Firefox, and use it when u need to access the internet.

why not just install a firewall such as kerio personal firewall, then just use its "Stop all traffic"/emergency lockdown feature to disable any access to the net?

then simply click it again to turn it off..

Thank Guys, at the moment I have win firewall set to "allow no exceptions" I'll see how that does. Kerio want MONEY! as indeed do BT. Bloody cheek, as if my phone bill isn't big enough!
Ta' for now.
Dave.

The best version of Kerio (and the last freeware version) was 2.1.5. A classic unbloated firewall that I still use to this day:

http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page7.html

However, the "stop all traffic" feature would also stop traffic to the other PC. If you don't mind that then you may as well just do this:

START / Settings / Network Connections / right-click Local Area Connection (or whatever it is called) and choose Disable.

You could also right-click and choose Create Shortcut - that will dump a shortcut on your desktop that you can simply double-click to disable and enable as you please.

damn shame kerio turned pay-to-use.. its a quite useful and decent firewall..

Guess the fun has to end sometime :(

Well it was a decent firewall ;)

In fact the Kerio name was bought by Tiny, who completely trashed it by turning it into one of those bloated monsters like all the other commercial personal firewalls. It was then purchased again by Sunbelt.

So Kerio 2.1.5 was the final version effectively. And in my opinion - if you want a low footprint personal firewall that is JUST a firewall, it's still the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back