TechSpot

Internet connection and switching users

By aeronautica
Jun 29, 2004
  1. When I am connected to the internet and on the administrator profile (Windows XP Home) and switch to the limited user, I must reconnect to the internet, which disconnects the admin and reconnects it. However if I log on as the limited user, connect to the internet, and then switch to admin, the connection is active. How can change my settings so that if I connect on the admin profile, and then switch to the limited profile, I do not have to reconnect?

2. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

Can you be more specific about your connection type? (DSL/Cable/Dialup?)

Is it DHCP or statically assigned settings?

Also, when you switch users, you can typically switch without logging out. If you logout, it terminates current session programs- if you switch, it saves those settings in the background.

Hope this helps somewhat. btw- Welcome to TechSpot!

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Are you switching or logging off?

I don't think you should be having that kind of problem.

This is a guess, but there is an option when you create a dial up or PPPOE connection to allow all users to use the connection. This may be your problem.

4. aeronautica

aeronautica TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 25

Dialup...I live out in the boondocks where broadband isn't available yet (fortunately I'll be in college this fall and that will change...); and yes, I was refering to switching users, not logging off and then logging onto another profile.

Note: the problem only occurs when I switch from admin to limited, not when I switch from limited to admin.

5. Goalie

Goalie TS Booster Posts: 616

As Rick said, there is an option to allow all users to use a connection, or only the initiator.

Obviously, Admin rules as teh God of teh machine.

Check your connection settings, be sure it's got permissions for each user to use it. Good luck- and yeah, I know the boondocks thing. We just got tone dialing a few years ago.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.