Internet connection and switching users

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeronautica

When I am connected to the internet and on the administrator profile (Windows XP Home) and switch to the limited user, I must reconnect to the internet, which disconnects the admin and reconnects it. However if I log on as the limited user, connect to the internet, and then switch to admin, the connection is active. How can change my settings so that if I connect on the admin profile, and then switch to the limited profile, I do not have to reconnect?

Can you be more specific about your connection type? (DSL/Cable/Dialup?)

Is it DHCP or statically assigned settings?

Also, when you switch users, you can typically switch without logging out. If you logout, it terminates current session programs- if you switch, it saves those settings in the background.

Hope this helps somewhat. btw- Welcome to TechSpot!

Are you switching or logging off?

I don't think you should be having that kind of problem.

This is a guess, but there is an option when you create a dial up or PPPOE connection to allow all users to use the connection. This may be your problem.

Dialup...I live out in the boondocks where broadband isn't available yet (fortunately I'll be in college this fall and that will change...); and yes, I was refering to switching users, not logging off and then logging onto another profile.

Note: the problem only occurs when I switch from admin to limited, not when I switch from limited to admin.

As Rick said, there is an option to allow all users to use a connection, or only the initiator.

Obviously, Admin rules as teh God of teh machine.

Check your connection settings, be sure it's got permissions for each user to use it. Good luck- and yeah, I know the boondocks thing. We just got tone dialing a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back