Internet connection breaking

Status
Not open for further replies.

mc68k

My internet connection breaks continually after about 7 or 8pm(BST). Haven't got an idea why this could be, I had a few viruses that I cleared up (see the post in the other forum) but now that that's sorted the connection still breaks(about every 5 minutes or so). Has anyone ever seen anything like this before, or any ideas what I could do about it. I've attached a HJT file, tried to catch the exact process that's running when the connection breaks in the task manager, but it's happenign too quick.

any helps much appreciated.
Cheers
Mick.

My internet starts to lagg actually at the time too.. I cant figure out if its my computer or my brothers.. or just could be the isp. Maybe the router dunno maybe someone can help

the hour(s) might suggest increase ISP activity which creates more TCP/IP
collisions and more retries. You make no mention of dial-up, DSL or cable
connectivity, but the BST suggests (to me) British Std Time. How's the phone service?

Yeah sorry should have gave more details I'm on broadband (1.1Mbps) with BT. I'm pretty sure it's an individual problem with my pc as it's every 5 mins or so after 7pm the connection breaks. Not sure what time it runs through to in the morning. Oh yeah that's British standard time too.

Cheers for any help.

Anyone any ideas? It's getting pretty impossible to do anything after 7pm. Should I contact my internet providers?

Do you use a router? Or just a strait connection to your modem? You can call the ISP and they can pretty easily see the traffic on your connection, perhaps even read some log files and see if they can find anything on their end.

If you are on a router, is it wireless? I don't suppose the neighbors get home at 7 and start jacking with your wireless?

Do you have any "anti" tools that do their scans at and after 7? Like for example to do updates or some other thing? Check your scheduler.

What exactly happens? Do you still have an IP address or does it go blank or change? Do the lights on your NIC and Router and Modem stay the same or do the lights change with it goes out?

Just some thoughts

adjusting TCP parms

try reviewing this site
HOWEVER,
if you're not familiar with REGEDIT, just to get a beer and leave things alone.

TTL
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
DefaultTTL="64" (DWORD, recommended setting is 64. Other settings that are widely used are 128 and 32).
This will allow your data to 'live longer' before being discarded.

MTU of 1480 is a good starting point and work DOWN
Note: For Windows XP PPPoE, there is an additional location for MTU that might need to be adjusted (to 1480, or up to 1492 as per the PPPoE specs), depending on the PPPoE software you use. Check the following location in the Registry:
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NdisWan\Parameters\Protocols\0
ProtocolMTU="1480"

Got the tcpoptimizer from this site. This is quite a nice piece of software, though still doesn't solve my problem as the internet connection still breaks (from exactly 7pm to 7am). I have some experience of regedit, though should I need to make these changes considering I used the software from the mentioned site? Any help greatly appreciated.
cheers
Mick.

internet breaking

hi im new today. im having same problem but mine happens frequently not between any certain time. i am using a tp-link 642 router and netcomm nb5 modem and i have broadband. when the phone rings we lose internet .so obliviously the wireless is affecting it. also when we play online games it freezes in about 5 minutes .

It sounds far fetched, but being that the timing is so precise, I wonder if your ISP could be doing that?
Or some routers have a feature where Internet is only available at certain times.

As for you randt; is your broadband DSL? That is, over the phone? If so, your filter may be toast and is letting interference go between Internet and voice. At least I think this is so. :)

we have broadband through telephone line . since my last post we found out that our router and phone are on same frequency . ty for advice i might look into a central splitter instead of these filters on everything

it would appear I fixed the problem, the answer might make more sense to you tech minded people rather than myself(software engineer). Originally the internet connection was a half Mb connection, got upgraded automatically by the isp to a 1.1 (the max we could get on the line). There's 2 phones in the house, at the start with the smaller line didn't need microfilter on the one upstairs, though just before I rung to find out realised with the increased traffic in the evening, having no microfilter on second phone socket could be causing connection to drop. I plugged it in, connection hasn't dropped since. Seems like it's fixed it.

Cheers for all the help.
Mick.

I hooked up DSL in a house once, they made us connect a filter to EVERY device plugged in to a phone jack. As any device can cause interference.

hope it keeps working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back