TechSpot

internet connection failing after a few minutes

By Refwhett
May 11, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I keep losing my internet connection after about 5 minutes of being online. The only way for me to reconnect is by rebooting
    my system. When this happens I can't even connect to my router (in which all the lights light green). I tried a new cable but the problem persists. Can it be the network card?
    I can't think of anything else.

regards
    Refwhett
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That's strange that you can't connect to the router. Have you tried resetting the router? You will have to change everything back to the way you currently have it setup, but it might fix your problem.
    I was going to suggest checking the status on the router to see if it is still getting an IP address from your ISP.
  3. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,582

sounds like bad card
    I had a intel gigbit card go bad just like that
    try unloading the hardware and reload
    should always keep spare card around to test with
  4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I guess there's a network service failing.

The next time the connection goes down, run services.msc and check if there are any services set to "Automatic" but aren't running.

Or alternatively, check from Event Viewer what kind of errors you get in System log.
  5. Eddy Rassy

Eddy Rassy TS Rookie Posts: 106

I had the same problem last week when connecting my W95 PC to the other two (one is running 2k and one XP pro) It will connect for few minutes and then disconnect. I removed the lan card completely, cleaned the contacts and re-installed it, then everything was fine. I guess it was not making good contact. Try it.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.