internet connection failing after a few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refwhett

Hi, I keep losing my internet connection after about 5 minutes of being online. The only way for me to reconnect is by rebooting
my system. When this happens I can't even connect to my router (in which all the lights light green). I tried a new cable but the problem persists. Can it be the network card?
I can't think of anything else.

regards
Refwhett

That's strange that you can't connect to the router. Have you tried resetting the router? You will have to change everything back to the way you currently have it setup, but it might fix your problem.
I was going to suggest checking the status on the router to see if it is still getting an IP address from your ISP.

sounds like bad card
I had a intel gigbit card go bad just like that
try unloading the hardware and reload
should always keep spare card around to test with

I guess there's a network service failing.

The next time the connection goes down, run services.msc and check if there are any services set to "Automatic" but aren't running.

Or alternatively, check from Event Viewer what kind of errors you get in System log.

I had the same problem last week when connecting my W95 PC to the other two (one is running 2k and one XP pro) It will connect for few minutes and then disconnect. I removed the lan card completely, cleaned the contacts and re-installed it, then everything was fine. I guess it was not making good contact. Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back