Internet connection keeps dropping out

nissanman

Hi all

I am having issues with my internet connection where the modem keeps dropping out. When this happens, the internet light goes off on it.

I have gone through 3 different modems trying to fix this issue, but nothing works. When the connection drops, i usually have to restart the router to get it to work again, though sometimes it works again by itself.

I have tried everything i can possibly think of to try and resolve this problem. Including trying different filters, unplugging all the phones and plugging the router straight into the phone socket but nothing works. The connection usually drops 2 to 3 times a day. Sometimes more. The drop outs started happening roughly 2 years ago and im starting to get sick of them. It is not a problem with my ISP as i have switched ISP's. The 3 modems i have tried are a Dlink DSL-504T, a Belkin F5D7634-4 wireless G router and my current one, which i just received yesterday, a Netgear DG834G v4.

So what could be the problem here? I was thinking maybe the phone lines in the house are faulty. Could this be the case?

Thanks.

Had a very similar problem to yours, on a friend's PC, using Belkin Wireless G+ mimo USB adapter, to a Netgear (Sky) router. Random disconnects, or when starting a download of, say, 20MB, it would start ok, then after about 2 or 3MB downloaded, lose connection.
I tried everything, but the big clue was, all was ok using Cat5e cable to router.
Eventually I bought a TP-Link Wireless G USB adapter. The first test I did was to download XP service pack 3. Was perfect, and has never been a problem since.
Don't know if it's the same problem, or solution for you, but it's a thought.

similar, but different issue. My router is losing the connection to the internet, all computers are affected. Your router seems to have been losing the wireless connection to your old usb adaptor while still remaining connected to the internet.

Thanks for your reply :)

Don't know what the phone sockets are like where you are, but we have a type where the front plate is held on with 2 screws. If that is removed, the phone socket inside is the direct connection to the phone wiring out into the road. It's not unsafe to do, but gives a better connection to the phone wiring. I know of a case where it fixed an intermittent connection.

It is not a problem with my ISP as i have switched ISP's. The 3 modems i have tried are a Dlink DSL-504T, a Belkin F5D7634-4 wireless G router and my current one, which i just received yesterday, a Netgear DG834G v4.
Interesting (as a problem to solve, but certainly frustrating to you!)

Simplification can enhance discovery of root causes.
1) for the test system (pick that system which appears to be the most 'stable')
2) discontinue a WiFi access to the router and use a wired connection.
(this eliminates many uses and we can get into pure network).

use Run->ipconfig /all and verify that you see
Node Type . . : Hybrid​

examine the lease period
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, March 06, 2011
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038​
The shorter the lease period (Expired - Obtained), the more frequently your connectiion has to perform
(should be automatic in your router) a /release + /renew cycle to keep your connection.

There is a test to see how well your router performs the cycle - -
you need admin access to the router configuration via your browser.
Do you know how / have you done this before?

hey guys. Just an update on the problem i am experiencing.

I was doing some tests today with the modem. I had the modem connected directly into the phone socket in another room with no filter on it and i began trying the 3 different filters i have on the only phone i had hooked up. As i was doing this. i noticed that when i unplugged the phone my Noise Margin value drops significantly. It usually sits on 11db, but unplugging the phone causes it to drop to around 4db, and the modem disconnects. Ive read that anything below 6, and the modem will have issues synching, and the higher the value, the better. is that correct?

Also, for each filter i tried, i got a different Noise Margin (SNR) value. The first filter gave me a value of 2 to 6db, but the internet was still connecting. The second one gave me a reading of 10 to 12, the 3rd gave me a reading of 32db, but the downstream speed was significantly slower.

I currently have 2 phones, 1 in the office where the modem is and one in the kitchen. There is only 1 phone jack in the office so i have the modem connected to the "modem" port of the filter and the phone connected to the "phone" port. The phone in the kitchen is connected to a filter, but it is different.

Could this be the cause of the dropping out? Would it be best to have 2 identical filters, instead of ones that seem to show different noise margin readings?

Thanks.

Edit: I have found the connection drops when the phone rings aswell. This has only just started on this modem. Also, Line Attenuation is good, that reads 10db.

nasty. I would think that the SNR numbers ought to be similar and using
filters of the same make ought to achieve that.

good experimentation :)

Hi all.

I purchased 2 brand new, identical filters the other day and they arrived yesterday. After installing them, my internet went for a whole day without dropping. I thought i had fixed the issue, and i was happy.

Unfortunately, that is not the case. This morning, i turned on my PC to find my internet had dropped. It is now back to its usual thing of dropping 5 to 6 times per day.

What could possibly be the issue here? There is no static noise coming through the phones and line tests show the line is in good condition.

I have been doing some reading around and there seems to be alot of issues with broadband and cordless phones. Specifically Uniden phones, which is odd. I have Uniden cordless phones. Maybe that could be causing issues?

Thanks.

Edit: Just to confirm. The whole internet is dropping, both wired and wireless. It also appears to only be the internet. It seems the LAN and WLAN still work fine.

It is now back to its usual thing of dropping 5 to 6 times per day.

What could possibly be the issue here?

I have been doing some reading around and there seems to be alot of issues with broadband and cordless phones. Specifically Uniden phones, which is odd. I have Uniden cordless phones. Maybe that could be causing issues?
YES :( Also microwave units and cell phones
You have two routers, so copy the following and correct it for the sequence of the connections:
modem-->Which.Router.Here(A)--->and which one is last(B)
Which router(s) are using WiFi A,B or both?
While we're at it, find the Channel number being used (for both)
Edit: Just to confirm. The whole internet is dropping, both wired and wireless. It also appears to only be the internet. It seems the LAN and WLAN still work fine.
that would be hard to prove. Lights on the modem do NOT prove you have a connection, but rather only that your modem SEES traffic from your ISP.

Have you contacted the ISP to check the lines outside of your house? You are looking at everything it could be within the house but maybe you need to get a technician out to make sure that there isn't a problem with the other components of the last mile.

Back