Internet connection problems - intermittency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all!

I am having some problems with my internet connection which started Friday and have been plaguing me since. First of all some details:
ISP: BT Yahoo
Connection Device: Epic Safe Com 4 port ADSL router modem
Connection: 2Mbps ADSL

My connection keeps dropping out, and while it is trying to reconnect (green light flashing on router) it'll occasionally connect for a few seconds then drop out again. It connects just long enough for one to three packets to be returned on a ping -t. Eventually it'll connect properly and be ok for maybe a couple of hours, but then it will drop out again.
When it does connect at first it's slower than usual, and will drop the odd ping -t packet every now and then, until it settles down a little.

Running the diagnostic on my router (when the connection is down) says that the ADSL is not synchronised. I've no idea what that means tho :-/
I phone BT and explained the problem to them and they are looking into it, but it wont be till Thursday until they get back to me and I'd rather not wait that long if there's anything I can do.

Does anyone here have any suggestions or ideas as to cause and solutions?

I've tried disabling all my firewalls and protection software, but the same still happens. Even with the PC turned off the same behaviour is exhibited.

~Shiv

Welcome to Techspot!
I do not know your Modem /Router, but look through the connections properties/configuration Setup and see if you can find a setting for "Keep connection Alive" Turn this on.

have your tried unplugging the modem, waiting more than 10 secs, and plugging it back in? this has worked many times, mostly with cable modems.

Yep, I've tried rebooting my router a number of times, and I'm certain it's not a keep-alive issue because it wont reconnect for sometimes a couple of hours again afterwards :(

~Shiv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back