Internet Connection Problems with Router and Norton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that is about 1.5 years old. I never had any internet connectivity problems with it until recently. I purchased Norton Internet Security 2006 in November, installed it and everything seemed to be working fine. Then over a few weeks, the connection started to fail. I removed my linksys router and that helped, but then it just stopped all together. I got a new modem from my provider and that didn't fix it. In fact, the modem worked on another computer. I even removed Norton and it still didn't work. I called Dell and they had me reset my connection and that seemed to work. They told me to go ahead and reinstall Norton. Everything was fine again until I bought Belkin router. I figured since this was from Dell's website it should be fine. I set it up and it worked 2 nights ago fine (at least the hardline connection as the wireless I didn't check). Then last night it didn't work again. I called Dell again and they sais that my network card is fine and it must be something with Norton or the router. I am going crazy with these problems! Is there something in Norton that makes it reject router connections or any internet connection for that matter? I feel like this has to be a software problem. Thanks for the help!

well for one Norton is notorious for causing network issue and internet issue from my experience with it.. you might want to see if there are any options inside the norton program that you could change so that the security isn't so high... also i would think about changing your firewall to something like Pc Cillin 2006 it is easy to run and you can chose all the options in it on how it will react to a hard connection or wireless connection so that you don't see any drops in connectivity... just a thought.. other than that sound like a you have a good warranty with dell so they should be able to tell you whether or not it is a hardware issue and if it is then replace the part.. may i ask why you had bought a router .. are you running multiple systems in a network setup or did you buy it just to have a wired connection available???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back