Internet Connection Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

discokym

I am setting up a small classroom for a volunteer project in Northern India:

- 9pc's running Win2k Prof. [very low spec],
- one server running Win2k prof. [not quite so low spec])

I want the student PC's to access the internet so I'll implement Internet Connection Sharing on the "Server". (higher spec'd machine with internet connection).

Because the Internet connection there is very bad I want to provide Internet Connection Sharing (anc caching) across the machines but don't have the money / software for ISA.

The question is... What would happen if I set all machines to use the same location for temporary internet files. Ie. set the location to point to a mapped drive on the server. Would this be a complete disaster and just bring tears?

Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Kym

Try it and see. I don't see what could go wrong...but I don't have any experience in the matter.

How would this benefit, anyway? All 9 comps surely wouldn't be visiting all the same sites.

The benefit I am trying to achieve is the same as a simple proxy. For example, if all 9 students access a common site eg. www.howthingswork.com then I'd prefer to only download and cache this once and let all the machines use the cached version.

My main concern is bandwidth.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh yeah.. that's a nice idea. It sounds like it will work, you will probably need to "map" a drive on the server though, rather than use the raw network address //servername\blah etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back