Internet Connection through Ethernet but not WiFi

I have spent the last 4 days trying to get my WiFi to connect to the Internet and am ready to throw the computer and all its additional equipment out of the window!

Amongst a collection of other laptops and a desktop, running different systems - Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 - I have an old Acer Aspire 3000, running Windows XP Pro SP3. I use it mainly for midi file work and as a host for Visual Studio 2005 which I keep for maintenance of some programs, written many years ago, but still in use by some of my friends and for which I require frequent searches on the Internet. Just recently, for no apparent reason, the WiFi on this laptop suddenly stopped working. I have been using an Edimax EW-7318Usg wireless adapter, which has never given any trouble in the past, to connect with my home network through a router/modem supplied by my ISP.

Since every other computer, iPhone, iPad and Kindle connects to the same network and works perfectly, I have to assume that there is no problem with that router. Also, the problem laptop connects perfectly via the ethernet cable. It just won't work on WiFi alone!

I have checked my wireless connections setup, including TCP/IP, and can find no problem devices in Device manager.

I have searched for solutions on the internet and tried everything I can find - I have scanned my hard disk with Panda Antivirus; have downloaded and run MalwareBytes; I have tried changing the router channel; I have tried setting the ipconfig values. Nothing makes any difference!

When I attach the wireless adapter there is usually a message telling me the connection has "limited or no internet access". At this point ipconfig /all shows the default values for the configuration.

If I try repairing the connection, I am told that the process cannot continue for one reason or another, though, on occasion, it connects when I close the message box. However, the adapter still shows "acquiring IP Address" and hangs there. Here ipconfig /all shows the correct configuration.

In both situations, the only ipaddress I can ping is the host PC - the problem one! Every other IP, whether in numerical form such as 192.168.1.1 (the router) or alphabetical form such as google.com, returns either a "timeout" or a "cannot find" message and, of course, I cannot connect to the internet.

I have tried clearing the ipconfig (I've forgotten the command!) and followed it with ipconfig /renew, but that won't work. I have repaired winsock using Microsoft's instructions and I have become "war-weary" trying to make sense of the whole thing.

I am trying not to have to re-install Windows XP and the associated updating of all programs, so as a last resort, I tried (probably unsuccessfully) to uninstall Edimax. In the end, after using Add and Remove to clear as much as possible, I just deleted the complete folder from Program Files. Then I installed the software for an old Belkin Wireless USB Adapter which I had lying around and tried it. The outcome was exactly the same! The Belkin software has one advantage however - it allows the user to opt to control the adapter through Windows, though I still could not make it work. I just don't know enough to solve this one.

Any ideas, anyone?

BarrieC

St1ckM4n

Have you tried using another adapter? Or tried using the adapter on another computer? Just to rule out if the adapter is bad.

A common mistake is to allow the wired connection to still be active while attempting to make/use a WiFi connection - - use one/other but never both at the same tile.

However, the adapter still shows "acquiring IP Address" and hangs there. Here ipconfig /all shows the correct configuration.
Sure sign that the request to DHCP is failing.

In both situations, the only ipaddress I can ping is the host PC - the problem one! Every other IP, whether in numerical form such as 192.168.1.1 (the router) or alphabetical form such as google.com, returns either a "timeout" or a "cannot find" message and, of course, I cannot connect to the internet.
With the "limited access" condition, your PCs ip-address will be 169.x.y.z and there is no path to the 192.168.1.x network - - ergo the "cannot find" result.

"Belkin Wireless USB Adapter" - - personally, I dislike this choice as now you have two devices & drivers in the network path ( PC->Usb->Tcp==> router et al).

ipconfig /release & /renew
will never work until the "limited access" issue is solved, as while the /release deletes the config, the /renew just reruns the initial DHCP request and you're going in circles.

"Panda Antivirus" Have you tried disabling it? Do you have any others? What A/V, adware, firewall programs are installed?

>> WHAT did you last install just before these symptoms started? <<

Get into an Admin login and get a command prompt
  • [FONT=Tahoma]type: ipconfig /flushdns[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]type: nbtstat -R[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]type: netsh int reset all[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]type: netsh int ip reset[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma]type: netsh winsock reset[/FONT]

Hello - pretty new to specifics on computers, etc. Recently purchased HP laptop - have you tried using the "HP Connection Wizard" ?? Might be something to check out as well.
Regards - Craig

Phew! I'm surprised at the number of responses so far. My thanks to all of you. I'll try to answer them all as best I can with my limited knowledge.

First, in response to Cobalt006, I started out with the Edimax wireless adapter as I explained, but when I couldn't get a wireless connection, I thought that the problem might be the adapter so, in desperation, I attempted to uninstall the software and replace it with the Belkin, which I happened to have lying around from a previous installation. It is still in situ but unfortunately, it still doesn't connect me to the internet. As for trying it on a different computer, all of my other laptops have built-in wireless adapters and, in view of my present problems, I don't want to tempt fate with any of them. I use my desktop, which doesn't have a built-in wireless adapter, as a sort of hub for my home network and it uses a permanent wired connection.

Second, in response to jobeard, I was aware of your advice about not connecting both Ethernet and WiFi at the same time, having come across the same advice on another thread, and I have been careful not to try using both simultaneously. However, I have not yet tried disabling Panda Antivirus as a whole. I have tried disabling its Firewall (even though its setting looked OK to me) but that made no difference, so I concluded that wasn't the problem. The only other application which may have a bearing on it is the Malwarebytes program which I downloaded after the connection problem reared its ugly head in an attempt to remove possible malware which I was led to believe may have been responsible for the disfunctional adapter. I don't know whether or not it can be disabled but I can always uninstall it if necessary! Lastly, I'm using the problem laptop at present (with a wired connection) to correspond with you and as soon as I finish, I'll try the commands you've suggested (with a wireless connection) and I'll let you know what happens.

Thirdly, in response to Craig C, thanks, but as this is not a HP computer (my desktop is!) I don't have direct access to the HP Connection Wizard.

Regards to all
BarrieC

Here we are again. Still no joy.
I entered the commands as jobeard suggested: -
  • type: ipconfig /flushdns
    type: nbtstat -R
    type: netsh int reset all
    type: netsh int ip reset
    type: netsh winsock reset
Two of them (nbstat -R and netsh int ip reset) produced errors along the lines:
nbstat - no such command and
netsh int ip reset - wrong parameters.

However, after a restart the notification area wireless connection icon after first reporting "Limited or no connectivity" fairly quickly became "Connected". This was new!
I then went back to the command prompt and ran ipconfig /all which produced the following:

Windows IP Configuration
Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : acer-laptop
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-E5-C0-C5

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 12:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Wireless G Plus USB Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-DF-B0-4E-A8
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 September 2013 15:47:58
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 September 2013 15:47:58

Encouraged by the fact that the addresses appeared to be what I was looking for, I tried ping 192.168.1.1 which resulted in the now familiar "Request timed out" x 4 (100% loss).
With any luck, this just might give a clue as to what's going on. It certainly is beyond me.

BarrieC

Thanks again jobeard! Here is the route print output:
===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x2 ...00 c0 9f e5 c0 c5 ...... SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
0x30004 ...00 1c df b0 4e a8 ...... Belkin Wireless G Plus USB Network Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.3 25
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 25
192.168.1.3 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 25
224.0.0.0 240.0.0.0 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 25
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 192.168.1.3 192.168.1.3 1
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Persistent Routes:
None

Hope this helps. It means nothing to me!

BarrieC

Code:
Active Routes:

Network Destination		Netmask		Gateway	Interface Metric
		0.0.0.0		0.0.0.0	192.168.1.1	192.168.1.3 25  << the default route and correct
		127.0.0.0		255.0.0.0		127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1 1
	192.168.1.0	255.255.255.0	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 25  << the local lan routing
	192.168.1.3 255.255.255.255		127.0.0.1	127.0.0.1 25	<< THIS IS THE ISSUE
	192.168.1.255 255.255.255.255	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 25  << the broadcast
		224.0.0.0		240.0.0.0	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 25
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255	192.168.1.3			2 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255	192.168.1.3	192.168.1.3 1
Default Gateway:	192.168.1.1
this line
  • 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.255 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 25
sends everything to the local loopback address and not to the default gateway - -
not only will ping fail, but all else does also (you knew that, but now you know WHY).

Some Antivirus programs will do this and create a tcp path like this
  • nic-->loopback-->a/v system --> default gateway address
Uninstall your Antivirus program, reboot and ping 8.8.8.8
If that runs correctly, download and install a new A/V product.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I had some personal business to attend to.

I followed your instructions - uninstalled Panda Antivirus, rebooted, tried ping 8.8.8.8, success!
Since I have had previous problems some years ago with Panda, I decided not to re-install that A/V but to install Norton A/V which I have been using on some of my other computers. This PC is now working perfectly on a wireless connection - internet access no problem!

I don't know how to express my gratitude. I envy you your know-how. Had I been left to my own devices I would have had to take the problem to the grave! Many, many thanks. You've been a life saver!

BarrieC

Just Great - - pleased it all worked out for you.

I might suggest Avast! over Norton as the latter is known to be bloated. Then again however, Avast! is slow to initialize at boot time - - takes ~45-60 seconds to get configured and load new virus signatures.

PURELY a user choice :)

Btw - for those following this thread:

As the NIC finally got configured correctly in post #8, I was suspicious of another active interface being the default gateway, which lead to the request for the ROUTE PRINT.

With a good tcp configuration the options started to be narrowed down to:
  1. a manual LAN config on the NIC
  2. a manual LAN config from the router with no WAN side access
  3. something blocking the traffic (aka malware or a bad firewall)
  4. or this case, a bad route (many variations thereof).
It was a pure guess that the AV might create the NiC -> Loopback routing and we hit gold on the first attempt :)

Hi guys, I'm also facing same problem that I can connect through Ethernet but not through WiFi. Can anyone Please help me?
Start a new topic for yourself and provide
  • System info {xp,vista,win7,win8} version{home,pro} SP level
  • Internet Connection info
    • Cable, DSL, ISP you are using
    • Modem/Router make+model
  • attach output of IPCONFIG /All >myWired.txt for your wired connection
  • Verify that you have no red or yellow markers when
    • run cmd and enter devmgmt.msc and [+] expand Network Adapters
  • disconnect the wired and attempt a WiFi connection
    • and run IPCONFIG /All >myWIFI.txt and attach that content
Yea, I know that's a lot, but if you expect results, we will need this one way or another ..
In your new topic cite me thusly @jobeard and I'll get right to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back