Internet connects but doesnt work on wifi, ethernet works fine

By JTheros
Jan 31, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. My PC with windows 7 is the only computer with issues in the house. Ethernet works perfectly but wifi doesn't even when I don't have the ethernet hooked up. The wifi says it is connected but browsers, steam, and Itunes don't work. I have Bitdefender A/V and already tried uninstalling it, no change. I also uninstalled steam and Itunes with still no change. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the wireless adapter. I tried looking and I don't recall downloading or installing anything around the time the problem started. Before I try replacing the adapter itself, I was hoping for help here since I saw a very similar problem in another thread.
  2. JTheros

JTheros Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Bump
    If there is any more info I can give to help you help me, please let me know.
  3. verneronomous

verneronomous Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

Ok are you vertain that your wifi adapter is compatible with your router? Such as and N router and a N wireless adapter? If you have ethernet connected it may override the wireless. Do you have a bios setting that you need to enable wireless networking for your motherboard. What kind of wireless adapter is it?
  4. TheHawk

TheHawk TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 186   +6

Hey JT. Is there another wireless pc or phone that you can use to check your network with, to see if it detects your network and allows you to get on the Net?. The router might be bad and just broadcasting your SSID signal but no internet signal allowing you to connect.
    Has this pc ever connected to your current network wirelessly?
    Is your connection to your wi-fi network saying local only when the cursor is over your wireless connection icon?
  5. JTheros

This computer was connecting wirelessly to the same router I am using now, so the router and adapter are compatible. Other computers can still connect without issue, only this one is having the problem. I didn't change any BIOS settings so I also don't think that would be the issue. When I try to connect to the network, it says "connected" with a strong signal strength and under network and sharing says it is connected to internet, it just wont let me actually use the internet for anything... :/ Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the help!
  6. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,285   +155

I'd double check the network password is correct.

If still seems a problem, temporarily turn off password on wifi to see if it the adapter can connect when no password required
  7. TheHawk

When you state that the other machines connect without issue, I assume you mean other wireless pc's and not just those on Ethernet,correct?
    Which browser are you using and what message do you get?
    Have you tried using a second browser if you have one installed?
    Have you scanned for a possible virus/malware/rootkit infection?
    What about a System Restore to a point before you noticed this problem?
    I didn't see it mentioned, but like LookinAround alluded to,is your router secured?

Assuming your other devices are connecting wirelessly,you can try what I did with this issue some years back when I couldn't connect wirelessly:
    I uninstalled the wireless adapter in Device Manager, powered down, unplugged the power, and removed the battery and just left if for a few hours.On power up,Windows detected my wireless adapter and installed the drivers. It saw my network,connected,and I never looked back and it never happed again.
  8. JTheros

- My router is secured and my network password is definitely correct.
    - And yes, I meant other wireless devices can connect wirelessly.
    - I have tried Mozilla, Chrome, and IE, I don't get any messages, instead it just doesn't load the page. It doesn't even say it cannot connect, its just a white page.
    - I used Bitdefender a/v to scan for anything and nothing was found. My computer will not allow me to do a system restore that far back. I'm not sure why but there are only 3 dates and all of them are after the problem arose.
    - I am not sure how it works but I don't think my computer automatically detects my wireless adapter. I have the driver disk that came with the adapter though and have been using that.
  9. lchu12

lchu12 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

Is your Wireless adapter IPv4 setting set to DHCP (automatically get an IP)?
  10. TheHawk

Ok, so your router is ok,and nd you get a "connected" notification, but just a white screen wih all 3 browsers. I would say,try what I described earlier:

Uninstall the wireless adapter in Device Manager, power down, unplug the power, and remove the battery, and just leave the pc for a few hours.Power up, allow it to detect your adapter and network, then try to connect to your network .If no progress and the settings mentioned by the other responders are set, I would say the wireless adapter has gone bad. You could also try using one of those wireless USB adapters as a test.
  11. JTheros

Hey, thanks for all the replies guys. I fixed the problem. I put in the command "ipconfig" and saw "media disconnected" all over the place, so I searched for that. I found an article that had me put in some commands and the problem was solved. I still don't know what the problem was exactly but its gone lol
  12. TheHawk

Good that it's working, could you provide a link to what you found that resolved the issue for you?
  13. JTheros

14. Philip Booth

Philip Booth Newcomer, in training

Rt click on the internet icon in the bottom rt corner of your computer and choose troubleshoot/repair and see if that can fix it.Alternatively I would ring your internet provider support line and see if there is a fault on the line
  15. DIAMONDSOBM32

DIAMONDSOBM32 Newcomer, in training

I have a similar problem to J Theros in that I have previously maintained a wireless connection and can now only surf using a wired ethernet connection, however my problem remains unsolved by his solution and is dissimilar in that when there is no ethernet there is no internet.

This all started in October(?) when the cmos battery for the bios settings quit, after I replaced that all of the wondrous wireless internet ceased to be.

I have since uninstalled/reinstalled drivers been through the bios and just recently tried the command prompts I have also searched media disconnected and found that some people are posting elsewhere a description that looks like this:

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media state ................................: Media disconnected

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Tunnel adapter isatap.ph.cox.net

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 12:
    Media State................................:Media disconnected

etc.
    I cut out alot of "unnecessary" bits as my main point is that when I "ipconfig" on my PC I do not have a heading for wireless LAN adapter wireless connection but the laptop, which is connected wirelessly to the internet, has that heading and is connected to our ISP that way ( I should probably mention that the lap top runs windows 7 and the PC is running windows vista)

I am at a loss. please let me know what other information you may need.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.