Internet cuts out after 5 minutes

I recently updated my windows 8 to windows 8.1, after I did this the internet cuts out after 5-15 minutes, I have to disconnect then re-connect to get the internet to work again, any suggestions?

Wi-fi, I have already tried re-installing the driver

K if you haven't tried already unplug the router and leave it off for 5-10 minutes (lets it cool down a bit), plug it back in and see if the problem persists.

If it does here's some more troubleshooting to try

In device manager, select the wifi card under network adapters and right click. Select properties and go to the power management tab, uncheck the "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" box and see if that helps.

After that I would check for some corruption, it was pretty common during the 8 to 8.1 upgrade and happens on the 7/8.1 to 10 upgrade.

Open CMD prompt with admin privileges and type in sfc /scannow

if it says no problems were found then no windows corruption , if said it found corruption and fixes it then your good. If it says it found corruption but only fixed some, run it again.

If it says it found corruption and could not fix it, or if after running the SFC for a second time it still says only fixed some then we will try something else.

If SFC has not fixed the issue type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If that passes then windows corruption system files should be alright, if that fails you got bigger issues with windows.

If might seem weird but I have seen corrupted windows issues cause network issues before.

I have reset router and done the device manager thing, the scan is currently running, also just to point out. there are several electronics connected to the internet, of which none have a problem with, therefore its my laptop which has a problem

I will keep you updated when the can is finished etc

I have reset router and done the device manager thing, the scan is currently running, also just to point out. there are several electronics connected to the internet, of which none have a problem with, therefore its my laptop which has a problem

I will keep you updated when the can is finished etc

Just because other devices are working on the same router doesn't mean the router isn't playing a role in the issues, it just one of the first steps even if other devices are still buzzing along without issue.

You have a point but at the same time when my laptop was on windows 8 (8.1 now) I had no issues what so ever. ever since I updated it I have had this issue

K last thing to try that I can think of

Open command prompt again with admin rights type

netsh winsock reset, then hit enter

restart the PC and see if it's anymore stable.

Back