Internet disconnects

Hi I have also been experinsing these problems. I am a video game player as well and whenever I try to play on my laptop my internet disconnects. But all my other devices that use wifi work fine. Also there is nothing wrong with my computer because it works fine on other networks such as my schools. I recently moved and am now using a different internet provider ,centerylink. I think I have to change my modem channel but centurylinks website were you change modem settings is a scam. The website does not work and my parents think theres something wrong with my computer and are refusing to change internet service providers. So I am wondering how If I can change modem channels a different way.

Moderator note - This post removed from this thread: https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-keeps-disconnecting-randomly.205710/#post-1439822 to avoid hijacking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, You might have another wifi signal very close to your house that is on 'your' channel, it happens.
You can only move your channel to one of three different frequencies, that is the lowest, the middle or the highest one. So say your current channel is 6, there is no point going to 7, it's still too close.
If the 'other' problem wifi channel near you is say '1' then you should try to go to the other end of the range.
You change your WiFi channel in your router, then your laptop will find it.
You don't need a website to do that, it's between your laptop and your router.
You make the changes through any web browser, and the details will probably be on the label of your router.
But this might not the problem, although it's a fairly easy one to 'fix' if it is.

Find, DL & Install inSSIDer - - a wifi tool showing all SSIDs accessible from your current location.

It shows the channels each is using and you can then pick one not being used or at least between two so there's as little overlap as possible. My neighbors are using 1,3,6,10 SO - - I picked 4 to reduce interference.

Once you've picked a channel, you log into your router, go to the WiFi settings and you can set the channel there.

IF login access is forbidden, see if you can add your own/private router and take control for yourself there.
ISP=>Modem=>locked_down_router<- wired - >your new private rtr - - your wifi

Back