Internet Down At Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technel

Hello,

I have a little annoyance. When I start up my computer, several programs that need access to the internet pop up, including Steam and GMail Notifier. When the computer first starts up, both report that they cannot connect to the internet. But once I press "Retry," they connect fine.

I am using AVG Anti-Virus FREE and Kerio Personal Firewall.

Any ideas as to why they can't connect right away and what I can do about it? Thanks,

- Technel

Your network has not finished initialising when those other programs want to go on the internet already.
Either take them out of where they start from (Startup folder? check with MSConfig) and start them up manually when the booting is finished, or try to set a delay-parameter somewhere, or tell them to wait for an established internet-connection.

realblackstuff said:
Your network has not finished initialising when those other programs want to go on the internet already.
Either take them out of where they start from (Startup folder? check with MSConfig) and start them up manually when the booting is finished, or try to set a delay-parameter somewhere, or tell them to wait for an established internet-connection.

That is what I figured. I have been looking up registry editing programs, but I haven't found any that allow me to re-organize the order in which programs start up. I'm pretty sure that I have heard of one that can do it.

Any suggested programs or ways to set "delays?"

Simplest way is to configure the programs that want to connect to only to try to connect if a connection is present .. or stop 'em attempting the connection altogether until you launch the actual proggy manually......of course you do that from within the options of the proggies themself.
:giddy:

IIRC the programs are started up alphabetically in startup folder. Dunno the order for registry entries. You could put a batch file that does nothing but waits for 10 seconds before all your network-accessing programs.

I haven't had the problems talked about here, but you can go to Internet Connections and configure your connection to not automatically find you IP address. In other words, put your IP address in manually, and it doesn't have to search for it.

This seemed to make a small decrease in boot-up time, and connects me faster. Might help with this problem.

Technel said:
Hello,

I have a little annoyance. When I start up my computer, several programs that need access to the internet pop up, including Steam and GMail Notifier. When the computer first starts up, both report that they cannot connect to the internet. But once I press "Retry," they connect fine.

I am using AVG Anti-Virus FREE and Kerio Personal Firewall.

Any ideas as to why they can't connect right away and what I can do about it? Thanks,

- Technel
check your fire wall or turn it off and then retry.

Batch File or Registry ?

Followup . . . soon after Posting my question I found the following LINK

[CENTER]http://www.snapfiles.com/get/startdelay.html[/CENTER]

I Downloaded and it seems to make a difference except when I start Computer -> a Windows Explorer window opens to the location of the 'Startup Delayer' file.

I would suggest reading 'User Opinions' on the Site and 'strongly suggest' reading Help file before proceeding [after Install]. The Help file is brief & has a good presentation !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back