Internet explore slow / microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alibama2

I had some computer problems and I had my computer repaired, Everything on my drive was wiped out so I am starting over. When I get onto internet Explore it is running extremly slow. I I notice that when I first open the internet instead of going to my home page (msn) it goes to microsoft then switches to home page.

Before when I noticed it slowing down I would run spyware programs and it would take care of any problems but it is not doing any good this time.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ali

This will help us get a better idea of what is on your system

Highjackthis Instructions
  • Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) it can be downloaded from HERE
  • Run the HijackThis Installer and it will automatically place HJT in C:\Program Files\TrendMicro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe. Please don't change the directory.
  • After installing, the program launches automatically, select Scan now and save a log
  • After the scan is complete please attach your log onto the forums using the paper clip icon above your reply.
    ***Under no circumstances should you add any items to the HJT ignore list. Under no circumstances should you change the directory that highjackthis downloads to. Under no circumstances should you Fix anything without specific instruction to do so. Under no circumstances should you click any buttons other that specified in the directions including AnalyzeThis!***

no problem if you recently reinstalled, you should also check that you have all the updates from microsoft. In XP you can do this by going to www.update.microsoft.com
In vista you can do it through the control panel -> Windows Update

Wow I have more problems then I thought. I tried to update first like you said and it says I have 87 updates but it will not let me download them.

This is the message I got.

Review Your Installation Results

The software upgrade is complete
You can now use the website to find and install the latest updates for your computer.

Continue

More high-priority updates are available
Your computer might be at risk until you install them. Check for the remaining updates and install them now.

Restart now to finish installing updates
Your computer will not be up to date until you restart it. Please save any open files, photos or documents and restart now.

Installation Summary

Successful: 0
Failed: 87
Remaining: 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Successful Updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed Updates
For help installing an update successfully, see the solution under each problem description.

Problem: End User License Agreement (EULA) Not Accepted
Solution: Check for updates again and wait while you install updates. You will be asked to accept the EULA before any updates with a EULA can be installed.

Problem: Not Enough Disk Space
Solution: To make more space available, run the Disk Cleanup tool or uninstall any programs that you don’t use. For directions, see Help and Support on your computer.

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your System Tray.

Problem: Please check your update history for a description.

Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed
Solution: To fix the problem, try installing the updates again. If that doesn't work, use the Troubleshooter to try solve the problem.

Microsoft Windows XP
Security Update for Windows XP (KB873339)
Critical Update for Windows XP (KB886185)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885836)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB888302)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB891781)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB885835)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896428)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901214)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890859)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896358)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB893756)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899591)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB899587)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB896423)
Update for Windows XP (KB894391)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB902400)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB901017)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905414)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB905749)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB900725)
Update for Windows XP (KB910437)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB908519)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911927)
Security Update for Windows Media Player Plug-in (KB911564)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911562)
Update for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (KB913800)
Update for Windows XP (KB900485)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB908531)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB914389)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB918439)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB913580)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB911280)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB914388)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920670)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920683)
Update for Windows XP (KB922582)
Update for Windows XP (KB916595)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB919007)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920685)
Update for Windows XP (KB920872)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923414)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923191)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB922819)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB924270)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923980)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB926255)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB928255)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB928843)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB927802)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB924667)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB927779)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB918118)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB926436)
February 2007 CardSpace Update for Windows XP (KB925720)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB925902)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB890046)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB920213)
Update for Windows XP (KB930916)
Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB929123)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 6.4 (KB925398)
Update for Windows XP (KB938828)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 (KB936782)
Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB938127)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB923689)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)
Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB943460)
Update for Windows XP (KB936357)
Update for Windows XP (KB942763)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941568)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB944653)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB937894)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB941644)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB943485)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB944533)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946026)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB943055)

I have restarted and no luck not sure what else to do.

I did restart my computer and try again a total of four times and no luck?

Also did you see the copy of the log I posted?

Thanks,

I didn't see anything in the log.. (At first, i wasn't sure about the NoIE4StubProcessing but after some googling i believe its ok.

Blind Dragon or some others are more expert at reading the log and might have other info...

Would advise
- Don't try installing all that many at once (just for test purposes why wait all that time?)
- Usually, MS Update is smart enough to put updates in the right order. So when you select a subset, just use the first few.. and in the order MS Update comes up with
- Aso, try here

Okay thanks. I did try to go to that microsoft page but the weird thing is none of the failed updates show under the history?

That's odd....Does it show any history????? Or you saying u see history but not the udpates you want to apply now

You said you were running Microsoft updates, right?? Do you click on Express or Custom upates? Some things to try
1. Click on and read the whole FAQ (listed a bit under Review History). Try the troubleshooting items you see there first.
2. Click Custom update. Try only installing the first thing on the priority list. Try installing one thing (if any on the optional or hardware list). Any work and/or give u history
3. Try Windows Updates instead.

The log looks clean.

I would just see if you can update your Java Runtime Environment

Link for you here its the 4th option down that you need.

It only shows one thing under history and that is from the 3rd. That is it. I will look again when I get home. I tried to do both express and custom. I tried the first item on the list and it failed then I tried some of the others down the list but everything failed.

Not to sound stupid here (sorry) but what is the difference between windows updates and microsoft updates?

Glad to hear the log is clear I really appreciate you all taking the time to check it out. Does it make any since that it keeps coming up with www.microsoft then goes to my home page? The way it is now I could use dial up faster then I can high speed.

Alibama2 said:
Failed Updates

did you solve these issues first?

I dont know how to solve those problems. It never asks me anything about the EULA and why wouldnt it be accepted. I keyed in the exact numbers that are on my computer. And this is a brand new reload on my computer so there is nothing but space, very little is used so I dont understand why it even says that.

What really irks me is I was not having any of these problems until it went into the shop!

jobeard said:
Originally Posted by Alibama2
Failed Updates

did you solve these issues first?

DUH. Thanks joebeard. I obviously didn't read that FIRST output log too closely :eek:

the update process requires an ActiveX install and validation for WGA.
this stores a special key for future access during the update process, without which
updates are denied -- clearly the SHOP caused it to be lost and you must redo it.

the space issue will still remain -- used Disk Cleanup to make space for it.

1. Windows update provides the updates for your Microsoft Windows operating system
  2. Recently, they also provide a Microsoft Update site which is everything you'd get at Windows Update plus it can provide updates for other microsoft (MS) applications (such as Office, if you have other MS applications on your computer as well
  3. Look at the FAQ link i provided before. Here;s one that talks about settin yourself up for Automatic Updates though it sounds like you've gotten as far as the install
  4. Sounds lke you have to clean up and provide disk space (install CCleaner to get rid of junk files) and be sure to accept all EULA agreeements

Okay so I will download active x when I get home from work. I will try the disk cleanup but not even a 1/3 of the space on my computer is used.

Wish me luck I will post later :)

Make sure you are using Internet explorer 5.0 or higher also. A yellow bar should pop up across the top for you to click from the update page which, when clicked, will ask if you want to install the Active X for their site.

You can obtain the latest version of Internet explorer from here http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkID=24748

* And no worries man, we all enjoy helping people, which is why we are here ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back