Internet Explorer 11 flaw leaves user credentials ripe for the taking

Shawn Knight

Staff member

internet explorer microsoft patch browser ie vulnerability web browser credentials hack hacker security hole

Microsoft is working on a fix for a recently discovered vulnerability in Internet Explorer 11. The bug, which affects even the most up-to-date and patched version of IE, allows an attacker to bypass browser security, inject malicious code to launch highly credible phishing attacks and ultimately steal login credentials or other private information.

The flaw was recently disclosed by security researcher David Leo. Described as a universal cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability, it allows an attacker to bypass the Same-Origin Policy (SOP). This security mechanism is found in all browsers and is used to prevent code on one website from manipulating the content or browser cookies of another site.

Leo demonstrated the attack using Daily Mail as the target and was able to successfully replace the site’s content with “Hacked by Deusen.” Aiding in the attack’s success is the fact that it doesn’t change the URL in the address bar so it still appears as though you’re visiting the intended destination.

This could easily be put to use by a nefarious hacker to steal private financial information from a bank’s website, for example.

The vulnerability has successfully been demonstrated on Internet Explorer 11 running Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. Attempts to replicate it using older versions, like Internet Explorer 8 on Windows 7, have failed.

Microsoft said it isn’t aware of the vulnerability being actively exploited in the wild and are working on a patch. In the meantime, the company urges users to avoid opening links from untrusted sources and visiting untrusted sites.

Permalink to story.

Question:
Does anyone else have an issue with IE when closing it with more than 10 tabs and trying to restore it?

It always seem to crash for me so I am not sure if there is an issue with only my IE or it is just crap in general.

What happens, if you get caught lying to people?

What happens, if you're caught doing it for the 11-th time? :)

Internet Explorer, the best browser in the world....

ah, never mind...

:)

You would think that after 18 or 19 years of MS windows and IE that they would know how to write clear, clean, concise and most importantly SECURE code.
I have a hard time believing people are still so stupid about basic computer operation that they still use Windows at all.

Since they are focusing on that new browser Spartan they probably don't care about IE anymore.

MS would be foolish to turn their back on IE, before Spartan is released for public use. With that said I can't say I wouldn't do the same once Spartan is released. That is after all older OSes have lost support. Perhaps this is another reason MS is pushing for high numbers in Windows 10 adoption, by offering it as a free upgrade the first year.

Back