Internet Explorer 7 delay in opening

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Win XP Pro SP2. When I start internet explorer (or any other programs, but mainly IE), by clicking an icon or new tab (instance), it takes at least few seconds (delay) to start the program. After it started, I can use IE at normal speed. I know that my laptop is clean. Same thing occurs with Firefox. However, when I am connected to my job’s network (using VPN or direct connection at work), that’s not a problem, everything starts how it should. Basically, when I’m in the office, it is fine and when at home, it’s delayed.

My fist impression is that something is looking at my network drives and if it’s not there, is just waiting for confirmation?

I’ve been having this problem for quite some time now. I’ve researched all over the net and didn’t find anything that works. I know for a fact that I do not have a virus or spyware and re-installing is not an option. Also I have tried all tools from sysinternals (filemon, regmon, etc.) without any luck.

If anyone has any idea what could be causing it, please help. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Marc

sounds like an explorer add-on trying to check for an update, examples being MS .net, java (MS or Sun), video add-ons etc etc.

Try CCleaner to see what Explorer add-ons/helpers you have.

Oh, and do a more thorough check for malware - it's getting very good at avoiding detection and cleaning these days, unfortunately. This site has excellent guides for virus-checking.

I did check all above and that didn't work. I performed every possible scan and I don't have any viruses. As I mentioned before, when I VPN to my work, all is good in working condition, every program and browser loads like it should. I think something or a path is trying to connect to one of my network drives and that's why it slows my entire system when I'm not at work. I am just having difficulty finding it. I kind of remember when it started, so I even uninstalled all the applications since that time. Still, no luck.

Anyone else has any other suggestions?

pretty sure to be something installed for work then, that is linked to IE and as you say, attempts to join a group, map a network drive, or collect information etc from your work environment server. Examples would be automatic offline backup, offline file-sharing, email delivery etc etc. The obvious place to ask is your sysop at work.

I would fairly strongly recommend you live with it if I am right, as the chances of you persuading a sysop to tinker with his standard image are nil. Your alternative would be a dual-boot installation. One for work, one for you....

I was afraid this would be the response, but thank you for your input. I completely understand where you coming from. Just it’s been bugging me all along, so I thought if I do some digging I can find a solution. It’s really not a big problem, more like annoyance. Once again, thanks for looking into it.

Hi,

I have no particularly solution,I`m afraid,but am at least bumping the thread. :haha:

- All the settings governing how IE connects are in Internet Options/Connection/Settings

and in Network places.

- An MS page HERE about IE looking for a proxy server.

- Try a clean boot -

msconfig start up tab,uncheck everything, and then msconfig services tab,"Hide all Microsoft services"

then uncheck the remainder,

- Try starting Firefox in Firefox (safe mode)

It`s in Start menu\All Programs

That will temporarily reset Firefox to default settings,

and confirm or deny if a common browser setting is the issue.

If I think of anything else,will rush it to you.

Delay in opening IE solution for Lenovo users

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but have been in he IT business for quite a while. I just noticed that a few people have experiencing the same issue, and as I was looking for solutions, I ended up finding the problem, while checking the add-ons.

I knew for sure that it had nothing to do with viruses, spyware, etc...becasue I have seen the problem on many new computers that just came out of the box.

GO to the add-on manager in IE7 and simply disable CPwmIEBrowserHelper Object. This is a Lenovo add-on.

The amount of junk that they put on these machines can be incredibly annoying. I spend an hour on each new machines to remove tons of the installed programs before handing it over to a user.

Ths solved the issue that you are describing on all my macines. I hope it resolves the problem for you too.

Thanks,
Ami

Hi AmiY,

Thanks for the input,but I think mgostom has already swatted away the add-on possibility.

I hope he/she comes back with a fix,because we need closure on this.:)

Hi everyone,

Once again the add-on didn't fix it. In fact I don't even have the one specified by AmiY (I have a Dell notebook).

However, after some more digging I have found a fix to my issue. That doesn't mean that it will work for you, but it's good to try. As I mentioned before, I always knew that something is referencing my network drive(s). With that said I had a path pointing to the network server (\\myserver\somename) under Environment Variables. To get there, right click My Computer – Advanced tab – Environment Variables, under system variables window find and select “Path” – edit. If you have any references to a network (\\), delete it (however, save the original path just in case). This fixed my problem or at least I think it did for now (I’ll keep testing). Now, when I’m not connected to my work’s network (working from home), all is loading and working great, like it should. Just to let you know that my laptop was working fine when I got it. This problem started happening one day out of the blue. Now I kind of have an idea why it started. I think when I connected remotely to my laptop (leaving laptop on at work) from home, at that time a path was created to the server.

Hope this will help others.

Thanks,
Marc

look for access to the work Domain Controller or LDAP.

Do you have an active service Network Login? (Admin tools->services->Net Login)

get a copy of Cports (nirsoft.com). Run it as Admin and then launch IE. You can monitor
IP/Port pairs to see what is being accessed.

Firefox is fine but don't have a shortcut next to the current tab to open a new tab YET. And firefox don't open the default home page in the new tab. I use firefox now for web development - firefox is good for testing when you are developing.

Hi everyone,

I am new here, but have been in he IT business for quite a while. I just noticed that a few people have experiencing the same issue, and as I was looking for solutions, I ended up finding the problem, while checking the add-ons.

I knew for sure that it had nothing to do with viruses, spyware, etc...becasue I have seen the problem on many new computers that just came out of the box.

GO to the add-on manager in IE7 and simply disable CPwmIEBrowserHelper Object. This is a Lenovo add-on.

The amount of junk that they put on these machines can be incredibly annoying. I spend an hour on each new machines to remove tons of the installed programs before handing it over to a user.

Ths solved the issue that you are describing on all my macines. I hope it resolves the problem for you too.

Thanks,
Ami

THANKS !!!:approve: This fixed a LONG STANDING annoyance I had with my new Lenovo R61 with IE7... Disabling Lenovo Password Manager app cut 4 to 5 seconds latency in opening IE or any new IE window or tab.

:D:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back