Internet Explorer 7 problems with XP professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrmaui

Had Internet Explorer 6, it was working, updated it to IE7 and now can't get on the web. I also have Firefox and have no web problems with it. I have tried removing IE7 with no luck, I even tried the suggestions from the microsoft web site...no luck.

Need Help.

You DO NOT have to use IE7. Uninstall it in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Resume using IE6- it's still there. IE7 was NOT an update to IE6- it was a NEW version!

Set Firefox as the default browser.

'if it ain't broke......'

Okay, then I have to ask for a better description of " it would not let remove IE7." What happens when you try? Do you get any message?

IE7 problem with XP professional

I am told by the removal program, %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe that IE7 has been uninstalled but IE6 doesn't appear and when I try to use an IE6 execute file it tells me that there is a newer version of IE on my computer therfore it can't proceed with IE6.

You're not going to be able to use IE6 until IE7 is uninstalled. As previously requested, please tell me what happens here: "it would not let remove IE7.?

Are you doing the uninstall in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel as instructed?

I am using the following from the microsoft site: %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe
After using this it tells me that IE7 has been uninstalled but I then try to launch the execute file for IE6 and it tells me that I have a newer version of IE on my computer and that the the IE6 file will now close

Easiest option

Re-install IE7 (what a pain I know)
Restart
Go to add/remove programs
And Un-install IE7 fully
Restart
Go to add/remove programs
Go to add/remove Windows Components (LHS)
tick Internet Explorer

This should work

I agree. I don't know why you thought you needed to go through the MS site. IE7 is clearly available for uninstall through the Control Panel in Add/Remove Programs.

I have tried to uninstall using both methods, neither works. Using the add/remove programs method the computer tells me that after I re-start IE7 will removed, I then trie to load IE from add/remove programs and it will not load IE.

Using the microsoft suggestion also doesn't get me anywhere. I'm told that a new version of IE exists and therefore IE6 can not be loaded.

Go to Start->Run and type in "cmd" without the quotes and click OK
type "cd \" without the quotes and press Enter.
type "cd Windows Update Setup Files" without the quotes and press Enter .
type "ie6setup /q" without the quotes and press Enter.

If this still does not work:
Type the next line in exactly in the command window
"C:\Windows Update Setup Files\ie6setup.exe" /c:"ie6wzd.exe /d:1 /s:""#E"

I'll bet they all work depending on which is used! If I did it, I would take the path of least resistance in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

However, I would never have recommended using spuninst.exe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back