Internet Explorer bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Hansson

Staff member
Well, this time I'm quite impressed, via just one simple line of code you can crash IE:

<input type crash>

Put that in a text file and name it .html, viola, must be one of the easiest ways to crash Explorer.
Need I say Opera is not affected? A fix is not available yet but you can click this link for more information.

What can you really expect from Microsoft? Don't get me wrong though, I have nothing against them, it's just they have a history of this crap. I suppose it's not really that big of a deal, a patch will be available to download from Windows Update in the near future (hopefully). There goes another hour of downloading on my 56K :( ; I wish they made their updates more bearable for those of us on narrowband.

Another note to this: It works if you put it in the URL bar. If you put in "about:<input type>" or about:<input type crash> it'll do.. well.. I'll let you figure it out. It appears this works for any invalid type definition, or omitting the type definition.

I realize it's complex to deal with rendering such flexible languages, but you'd think they'd implement basic error/typo/syntax checking. If you're like me and just don't quite like Opera, Mozilla (Opera's base) is out there too!

Originally posted by TS | Crazyace
If Opera is that great, why doesn't anybody use it?
Perhaps cause IE comes preinstalled and most people don't want to hazzle with installing another browser?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm no expert on this, I wonder, if as many people used Opera as use IE, would there be as many flaws found in Opera as IE? I bet there would be some.

While I'm no expert on this, I wonder, if as many people used Opera as use IE, would there be as many flaws found in Opera as IE? I bet there would be some.

Yes, I agree with that one. If Opera was a huge monopolistic company that wouldn't care about anything but profit, there would be more bugs in Opera indeed.

Actually, over on Pivx they've posted up links to several Opera vulnerabilities - http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

The thing is though that Opera don't seem to act like Microsoft when it comes to such bugs being pointed out to them, they go, yeah we'll fix that in the next release. Whereas Microsoft go, well, that's not a security issue as it requires too much user interaction, or some nonsense like that (Which is the response to several of the vulnerabilities that are listed on Pivx).

As for why not use Opera, well a decent amount do, but then again most people don't look beyond what came installed with their PC.

You might recall that MSN had its html done is a certain way (still does?) so as not to display right on Opera either.

I use both Opera and IE, and I actually like Opera better. For one thing it loads faster, even with DSL. I think Opera has made improvements and it works better on more sites, but there are a few problems yet. A couple of things I like about Opera, it scrolls smoother and the mouse click commands are great. It's probably just a matter of time before Microsoft figures out how to do it. HeHe.

I just hate it when people rank on Microsoft, yet use their products on a daily basis. EVERY product has problems, but MS operating systems and browsers are amazing, if there was somthing better, we would be using it.

Crazyace, if you are talking about me, I use IE more, what I said was kind of in jest. I agree with you 100% about Microsoft.

I use Opera regularly, but I'm sure it is one of those things for advanced users, kind of like linux. Most people stick with the norm of Windows and IE, while real computer people goto Linux or Unix as well as other applications that most people probably don't use.

Windows doesnt have to be the norm though. If someone would make somthing better, than it wouldn't be. I am sure some day some company will step it up to the plate, hopefully. But until then, Microsoft makes the best, period.

Being better isn't really relevent :) Betamax was better than VHS, who here had a Betamax player?
I don't really thing there's a lot that can be done by a competitor to take on Windows (Not to mention the anti-competitive practices Microsoft has been found to use against them anyway) - If you want to surpass Windows then you have to be able to run everything it does - otherwise not so many would really want to move on to it (After all, the software which you'd previously bought wouldn't work it, e.g. if you change from a PC to Mac after 3 years - try getting your PC Unreal Tournament or Office XP running on that - Lots of money wasted there ehhh).

Just came back from a short weekend trip, otherwise I would have added to the discussion earlier...

Anyway, without even touching the "to MS or not to MS" thing, I must say I prefer using IE regularly than any other browser.
Like you can imagine I use my computer most of the day and it's not true "real computer people" pick Linux & Mozilla, like that's a combo... once again OS related discussion aside, I've tried both Mozilla (several builds) and Opera, but in the end I can't be bothered with slowdowns or built-in ads, etc. I don't like to have noise (used as an advertising term) in the web pages I browse - typical of Opera - and IE is still (for me) the most reliable and hassle free web browser available, perhaps I'm just used to it, but I think I can identify better and that's my choice.

As a side note, remember that old Wired article about Macs: "for some people the most attractive thing about Macs is that they are not Microsoft", I've seen several of those cases.

I would have to say my favorite browser is IE. I really want to use something different, but whenever I try another browser, I am always left disappointed about something.

As much as I would like to say it is, how is Opera faster?

It is fast - But Internet Explorer is way faster. It's integrated into the system and everything from rendering to load time feels snappier to me.

Opera's big advantage, I think, is the tabbed interface. It's not a new concept - But a good one.

But when it comes down to it - Opera is payware, where IE is free. That will keep me using IE for now.

Netscape, in my opinion, is and always has been crap. 6.0 was a nice refresher, but is very slow and STILL manages to get HTML rendering WRONG. Not to mention the bundle of AOL-supported stuff such as winamp is really unecessary. Opera is more forgiving than Netscape in respect to coding.

I use Opera as my primary browser, with Netscape 7.01 as secondary (and Netscape 4.78 a tertiary)...

The only time I use IE is when I need to use windowsupdate...

Tried several builds of Mozilla, but Opera is much more handy imo..

Why use opera?
Because it actually follows the w3c specs, render pages faster than any other browser, allow you to customize it to your hearts content, let you use mouse gestures, saves your tabbed windows so you can continue where you left off, inbuilt pop-up killer... Do I need to continue?

Rick> If you're left wanting when you use Opera, why not customize it to your liking?
I agree that it feels a bit strange in the beginning, but after a short while you wouldn't think about going back to your previous browser...

Julio> I can understand your reluctance to use Opera due to the ads, but maybe you could get Opera to give you a full version to do a review on? ;)

CrazyAce> Yes, I'm not too big a fan of MS, and try to use alternative programs when I can... But I've yet to find another OS with the same program support... So if you could point me in the direction of that OS, I'll switch in an instant...

I just use IE beucase it does the job just fine, I dont see a reason to switch over. I did the crash thing, no error or anything...just a swift poof. ;)

Because Opera often identifies itself as MSIE 6.0, for sites that erroneously say they require Internet Explorer while they render fine in Opera. This throws off web server logs.

Make sure to check my user-agent, too ;)

Originally posted by TS | Thomas
Being better isn't really relevent :) Betamax was better than VHS, who here had a Betamax player?

Betamax wasn't better than VHS. The recording quality was at approximately the same level of VHS, but in fact, the reason that VHS took off in the first place was that VHS cassettes allowed for a two-hour recording time, while Beta tapes only allowed one hour. This allowed people to tape 2-hour programs and movies unattended, where you would have to change tapes halfway through on a Beta.

Please stop perpetuating these silly myths. ;)

Linux is better than Windows, by far, but no one really knows about Linux except for advanced users. Some distros (like Slackware, SuSe, and Debian) are in fact harder to use, but then again, they are much more powerful than Windows. Mandrake is easy to use and has the same advantages as other distros. And Linux is extremely configurable, unlike Windows. Linux is also, by far, the most stable OS. For example, Windows ME can't go three days wothout needing a reboot, whereas Linux boxes can run for over a year without restarting. And if you have Wine, you can play most of your Windows-based games and progs on Linux. Oh yeah, and $70 for Mandrake 9.1 can get you ~$5,000 of Windows OS/software.

Of course, much on Linux is done in the console.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for Opera: I used to use Opera but I found it didn't meet my needs, mainly for small things. For example, it didn't show table borders as colors, just generic grey lines, which annoy me (especially when making a website) because they look like crap. Again, as with Linux, not many people know about Opera, mostly because IE comes with Windows and they see no reason to get a better browser, and then there's people who use AOL. Only advanced users feel the need to get a new browser. Opera, like Linux, is extremely configurable, which is another good thing.

If you use Opera or Linux, don't like it (like me) and switch back, that's fine, but please don't be a closed minded a$$hole who won't try anything new because they think what they have is fine. Take a risk! Try something new for a change!

/end long geek post

INTERNET EXPLORER is still The Most Popular browser in the World :D (see the pages: www.webjunior.prv.pl )... and any little bugs this situation don't changes :p

EVERY program have many BIGGER bugs :p
For instance: the famous OCR program "Finereader 6" have Service Pack in size bigest like the same final program :confused:

For example, it didn't show table borders as colors, just generic grey lines

Welcome to the world of W3C standards...

Even though it is polluting HTML code everywhere on the web, I have to give props to Microsoft for adding extra support to things that just make SENSE. This is one of those things.

I think I might give Opera another shot just to be fair. For those of you who use Netscape 7, you may want to consider Mozilla (nearly identical), which is better in my opinion.

This stuff about "what is better" is very subjective. :) I could argue DOS is better than Windows "cuz it don't crash".. For example. ;)

I admit that some things are just obviously better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back