Internet Explorer comes up/runs very very slow (38 sec.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarnett123

First, Hello to all, and thanks for jobs well-done. Until this time I've only been a viewer of posts. And now I have an issue.

I have two computers side-by-side that are essentially the same running XP Pro. The main computer initiates and runs Internet Explorer very, very, slow (35-38 seconds for Internet Explorer to initiate as opposed 3.5 seconds for the other computer to initiate Internet Explorer. Web pages are equally slow on main computer, but fast on the second computer.

I've completed the normal items to make Internet Explorer run faster such as deleting the temporary files, history, cookies, etc. etc. as well as a number of other tweaks to improve the speed. I've optimize the hard drive. But nothing reduces the time frames.

I have computer Associates anti-software, spyware, malware running as well as running Lavaware AdAware personal security software. I use Norton software and Regedit two keep my Registry clean. I use Norton disk software to keep my hard drives in good shape.

The problem may have been initiated when I installed Google's Web Accelerator and subsequently uninstall it. However, I suspect I may have a virus or viruses. So.....

I downloaded hijack, renamed the initiating file, and ran it. The log file is attached. A number of entries are troublesome.

They are:

The BHO entires with noname,

O20 - Winlogon Notify: mljjj - C:\WINDOWS\
O20 - Winlogon Notify: xxyvuuu - xxyvuuu.dll (file missing)

Other entries are bothersome.

The URLs with NameServer = 170.215.126.3,170.215.184.3 included are my insertions per my Internet provider.

Incidentally, when I put Google’s url into My Computer, C: drive address bar, Google comes up with in 2 seconds or less !

Any assistance, advise, or direction you could provide would be most appreciated. If you need further information, please let me know.

Thanks everyone for all that you do.

Doug

Hi,

You have a number of things to be fixed.

Post your log HERE That will give you a fair idea.

After that I suggest you go HERE and do the legendaryTechspot anti spyware steps.

Other essential tasks,are,

- Get rid of Norton.See HERE Replace it with some of the programs mentioned

in the legendary thread above.

- Use Firefox or Opera browser for general browsing,instead of IE.

They are both faster and safer than IE.

I am following your instructions but hit a minor snag in Steps 5 and 7. Please provide guidance. All software is now downloaded and I am ready to proceed.

Per your instructions the following was accomplished or initiated.

1. Very Important: Malware infections can possibly lead to identity theft, stolen bank funds... I fromated a HD in another laptop and will make it my financial, secure computer.

STEP1:Malware Removal: Temporarily Disable Real Time Monitoring Programs. Done.STEP2:I am currently runing Computer Associated Commercial brand of ZoneAlarm. This is a suite of Firewall, Antivirus, spyware, email, etc. Nevertheless, I have and run frequently AD-Aware personal Malware etc. software. STEP3:Run this online virus scanner. I was not able to get this to download. So, I skip it and continue with the rest of the instructions below.STEP4:Make sure you have the LATEST version of HJT (currently v2.0.0.2) from HERE.Got it. Installed it.STEP5:Rename the Hijackthis.exe file to Crusty.exe. Done.Nothing added to the HJT ignore list.Do not run a HJT scan, until step15 of this thread. Actuallly, I had hijack and run it earlier and deleted some entries that were judged by Hijack as dangerous. !!!! You may remember I sent Hijack file to you initially.STEP6:Download and install AVG Antispyware(formerly Ewido). Done.Run it. Done.Update. Done.STEP7:Download and install the latest version of SS&D. Done.Make sure you have the latest definition files(updates). Done.Click the immunize button in the lefthand pane, then click the green immunize cross in the righthand pane. Unfortunately, I ran this earlier and deleted some items that it found Virtumonde Generic ; some Hkey local and Hkey users and Virtumonde. Items. But I have closeded SS&D. !!! Make sure that during installation the Teatimer protection is disabled. This was not done since installed earlier. Should I uninstall and install again. In fact I do not know where the Treatimer protection is in the program???STEP8:Download and install the latest version of Ad-Aware SE Personal.I have this software as indicated above and use it frequently. I updated definitions todaySTEP9:Download the Ccleaner programme from HERE.Close all browsers. Run the programme and make sure all the boxes are ticked under the Windows(except for the Old prefetch Data option, this should be unticked) and Applications tabs and click the run cleaner button. Do this several times. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------STEP10:Download and run these three tools. Follow the instructions for using each tool on the download site for each tool.Tool1 Tool2 Tool3STEP 11:Download the Panda Antirootkit programme.Unzip it and run the PAVARK.exe file.Tick the box that says In depth scan and follow the on screen instructions.DO NOT remove any UNKNOWN ROOTKITS at this stage. Instead, let me know the results.Let me know the results in your reply.PLease Note: Panda Antirootkit is not compatible with Windows Vista.If you are running Vista, please download the AVG Antirootkit programme.Disconnect from the net and install the programme.Run the programme and tick Indepth scan. Do not have AVG Antirootkit fix anything, instead let me know the results.Once the scan is finished, reconnect to the net..

I lost the will to live half way through that wall of text. :dead: :haha:

Think of your reader,darling.

When you have finished the steps,start a new thread in this forum,

with a fresh HJT log,AVG anti spyware log and Combofix,as described in step 15.

Somebody will check them over.

Spybot SSD can be re-immunized,after your PC is clean.

I personally do not use the real time monitoring in Spybot,

as it causes issues with my PC.

Provided you use Firefox or Opera instead of IE,and are

sensible on the net,and with email attachments,

a lot of that security stuff should be redundant.

Thanks for your assistance.

Yes, sorry about the text; It was beautiful in the original format but when pasted here it was a jumbled spider web. Sorry.

I will proceed through the steps as outlined. Then post as you suggested. However, if I hit a snag in the process, I hope you will still provide some advice.

Thanks again.

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back