Internet Explorer Doesn't Work: Cannot Display Page Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I recently caught adware things on my computer such as CoolWebSearch and some other ones. So then I decided to run the spyware X scan from spywareinfo and run AVG Virus Scan. I picked up numerous adwares and about 5 viruses which I deleted. Now my internet explorer doesn't seem to load any web sites at all, I have tried reinstalling the IE SP1 Package for my Internet explorer 6 on win 98 SE. If anyone can help, I will gladly appreciate it very much.

Here is the error I get when I try to open up IE:
res://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCLC.DLL/dnserror.htm#

And here are some other things I have already tried:
- enable DNS
- check the list of hosts files

did you actually check inside the hosts file?

i wouldn't be worried so much that the spyware deleted any hosts files, but that they actually modified them. most of the time, you can delete most entries except the 127.0.0.1 localhost entry (unless you need a host for your router).

the other thing i would try is rebooting your router/broadband modem.

and if that doesn't work, check all DHCP and DNS settings as per your ISP's specifications.

also check any and all firewall settings.

i've never heard of spywareinfo, but spybot search & destroy is probably by far the best spyware killer out there. especially when used in conjunction with adaware.

does the internet work with firefox or nutscrape?

Hello Suzumebachi,

I did actually check the hosts files and they only had the 127.0.0.1 localhost entries. I don't run any firewalls on my computer and I am on a campus connection, so I only have an ethernet cable which connects to a plug and no modem.

I am not really sure of how to configure DHCP and DNS settings but I've tried switching DNS on/off and it hasn't worked.

Edit: Firefox does seem to work on my computer. The only problem with this program is that I can't access Windows Update or stream videos as I could with IE.

Thank you for your quick response. ;)

LSP may be the problem

Go to Google. Search for LSPfix. Download the program and run it. It should restore the LSP Problems which has been caused by the removal of Spyware etc. I had a similar problem caused by Antivirus software sometime back.
Good Luck.
Tonkyboy.

IE browser not openning

Sometimes you have to go to your ISP main connection Icon in my case it happened to me that for some reason I couldn't open my microsoft ISP nor Netscape internet browser. The solution was to reinstall my verizon ISP and go to their folder and open their online dialer. I went to Dell for support and their solution was to do OS complete recovery since IE cannot be recovered by any IE downloads, it's imposible to restore IE at according to Dell support.
jco

I ran the LSPfix and it didn't pick up any errors. There were no entries for the removal area so I think that meant everything was fine.

I'm not sure if ISP connection is the problem because Firefox works on my computer...

Sorry about this but I should have mentioned before that I also ran WinsockFix at the same time. Try to download & run that.

Tonkyboy

Thank you Tonkyboy!

Running the Winsockfix and rebooting solved my issue just like that. I am a happy person now, thank you all who replied and helped.

I've gotten the same error.
What always fixes it for me is to go to Start-Run, type in ipconfig/release hit enter and go back in type ipconfig/renew and hit enter.

Thankyou to Tonkyboy

A huge thankyou to Tonkyboy for his good advice.. After weeks of frustration of Internet Explorer (both IE6 & IE7) "cannot display the page", even though I am connected to the Internet and able to send emails through Outlook Express and upload photos to my websites, a Google Search led me to Tonkyboy's postings.
I downloaded and ran both LSPfix and WinsockxpFix with great success. It is wonderful to be able to enjoy the internet once again.. Thankyou.

Absolutely Momok. I find that these errors are nearly always associated with malware of some kind, if not directly then with the removal of it.

momok said:
Hi,

More often than not, these LSP/Winsock problems occur simultaneously with other malware infections. It would be wise to go through the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions just in case there are further nasties residing in your system.

Or in the least, post a HijackThis log in our Security and the Web forums.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)
Thankyou Momok! It sounds like really good advice and I read right through all the links, but I do not feel confident enough to tackle all those processes. I have up to date Nortons Internet Security 2006, Nortons System Works, use Ad-Aware daily, and Delete Cookies, Folders, History, etc daily. As there was no mention of Nortons in the Malware removel instructions, I wonder if there would be any conflicting issues or problems. I just hoped that what I had already done would be enough. Best wishes, gladysclancy

Hi,

Should you face any malware related problems, please run through those instructions. I would suggest turning off Norton, leaving only your firewall and running through as much of those instructions as possible. Then create a new thread in our Security and the Web forums and post the requested logs.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Hi ocelot02.. My problem was successfully solved by following the instructions in posts above from Tonkyboy and Momok. Did the LSPfix and WinsockxpFix as suggested by Tonkyboy, then Cleaned my computer as suggested by Momok. I had previously tried Firefox and Opera with no success so uninstalled them both. Good Luck.. gladysclancy

Hi ocelot02.. That certainly presents a problem. Try disconnecting your modem for 5 mins, then plug in again to see if you can get a connection. From my experience, I would keep trying intermittantly for up to 5 hours to get a page displayed, then it would usually last for about an hour before getting that "Internet Explorer cannot display the page" again. Try doing the Windows Diagnostic from Tools > Diagnose Connection Problems as sometimes that will get you a connection. Try turning your Firewall Off, then On again. Or try phoning your ISP and get them to go through your settings with you and they may get you connected. Good luck.. gladysclancy.

theres nothing wrong with my connection. I can still connect to the internet and use apps like messenger. But with IE being my only browser, how would I download winsock or anything else?

Hi ocelot02... I hoped that by continually trying the steps I suggested last time, you would be able to eventually "See the Page" occasionally. Guess I should have used the words "See the Page" instead of "getting a connection". When Internet Explorer says it "Cannot Display the Page" it is certainly possible to run the Windows Diagnostic as instructed on that page.
Nor do you need to be able to view the page to Disconnect the Modem for 5 mins, then try Internet Explorer again in the hope that it displays the page.
But if you have tried that over and over again without success, I can only suggest that you ask a friend to use their computer to do a Google Search for free LSPFix and WinsockxpFix, download (but not install) them to his computer then copy them to disk so you can copy them to your computer and run them. If you do not use Windows XP, choose the appropriate version of WinsockFix for your version of Windows.. gladysclancy.

Lunatic said:
I've gotten the same error.
What always fixes it for me is to go to Start-Run, type in ipconfig/release hit enter and go back in type ipconfig/renew and hit enter.
I tried this method before doing the LSP fix etc. and it worked wonders.

Thanks!!!!!!

Internet connected but IE7 cannot display any page

Hi all,

Was over-zealous one evening to clean up laptop and deleted some rarely used programs (Veoh, HP support etc) Day after, internet explorer stops being able to display any page not even google/ yahoo. Internet was connected as could use Messenger and could also go on internet using BT Yahoo Browser. Just Internet Explorer that won't display any page. Tried to run Norton Antivirus but it stalled everytime.

Any ideas/ suggestions? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back