Internet Explorer keeps saying that it can't show Web page and restarts

counterweight

I havent used my laptop in almost a year because I thought I had a virus. I finally got rid of that problem and now my internet explorer keeps saying that it cant show web page. And it also keeps starting over and over. It gets 6 or 7 different sites going before I can start shutting them down. Sometimes the internet will come on but it will go back to saying that it cant display web page again. If anyone can help me that would be great. Thank you

Sounds as if you have not got rid of the virus, or IE is badly damaged and should be reinstalled.

If you have nothing of importance on the PC then I would suggest a format and reinstall as your quickest solution.

If you have not started to do a re-install yet, you might try this first.
On another pc download this to a flash drive;
http://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable
Then on your own pc with the virus problem, start it in 'Safe mode'.
Open the Flash drive, and do a scan of your pc with 'Spybot'.
It may be enough to let you use your own web browser.
If so, then do a full scan of your pc with your own anti-virus program.
If not then, it's nothing lost, do the re-install of Windows.

If you are going to go down that road then I would advise you to open a new thread in the Malware forum. Nothing wrong with Mike's advice but Spybot is not the best utility to use to scan your system for infections, most Malware forums have dropped the use of it in favour of SuperAntiSpyware. Both Spybot and SAS look more for Spyware and Adware so other tools need to be used to ensure the system is clean.

If reinstalling Internet Explorer does not fix the problem then you can be fairly sure that you are still infected. Then you just need to decide if you want to do a clean install of Windows, which guarantee's 100% removal of any infections, or go to the Malware forum.

Back