TechSpot

Internet Explorer Tabs Freeze

By Riley50
Oct 4, 2008
  1. Hi - I have IE7 running in XP sp3. Suddenly the tab facility stopped working. If I select the new page tab IE says 'connecting' but stays with my original page and moves into 'not responding' mode and I have to clear it with Task Manager.
    I have reinstalled IE7 to no avail. KIS7 and Spyware Doctor work away in the background and appear to have no complaints! I can run multiple single page copies of IE but I would like my tabs back!!
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. TKIA

2. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 572   +6

Maybe an addon, plugin or an extension is causing the problem
    Reset Ie to defaults

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:
    1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
    3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
    4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
    5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.
    Note If you cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

3. Riley50

Riley50 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 19

Hi tw0rld - thanks for that - I did it and now have tabs working' Also an uncluttered header to IE7!
    thanks again.

4. tw0rld

tw0rld TS Maniac Posts: 572   +6

Glad I could help.:)

5. Anne_Marie

Anne_Marie TS Rookie

Yeah, IE has a nasty habit of gathering all these additional toolbars and add-ons, making it extremely clunky and often interfering with normal browsing. Resetting does the trick but if you have malware present, it won't work for long!

Glad to hear you've fixed it up, but I'd recommend taking a look at one of the other mainstream browsers. Firefox and Safari are brilliant for speed and reliability, while not getting as drained and stripped down as IE tends to get after a few short months of use! I use Safari at the moment.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.