Internet Explorer using half a gig of RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledgus

Hey all, I've been having trouble with internet explorer for a while now. It ALWAYS loads up very slugishly, and today I went into the task manager and look at what was going on and it was using nearly 600MB of RAM! And i only had 2 pages open in 2 tabs! I seriously think i have a virus or something BUT zone alarm isn't picking anything up! Is there anything going around at the moment???

The memory usage is given in KB. Did you convert it? I have IE6, of course no tabs to customize like IE7 and have this:
34 000 kilobytes = 33.203125 megabytes.

On the other hand, I use Firefox, have it opened with 7 tabs plus extensions with this measurement:
108 000 kilobytes = 105.46875 megabytes

I would say you have a problem and would be wise to look for malware as suggested.

I haven't seen many users using Zone Alarm Antivirus
Generally users just use ZoneAlarm Free Firewall, but so be it.

Have a look at this guide in the making, concerning removal of Virus/Malware

And please return here, to post your attachments (if required)
And also if the proceedure helped make IE stable again

Went to that post and tried everything. I didnt have Java installed/It wasnt working. I downloaded and installed the latest one succesfuly but it didnt seem to fix the problem :(

Browsers are known for having huge memory leaks even more so in combination with Adobe Flash. So this could be a possibility. If it's happening all the time then it's not normal...

Have you tried other browsers like Firefox 3 or Opera 9? If not, maybe you could give them a try and see how that works for you.

Are you running Internet Explorer Version 6 or Version 7?

You can download Internet Explorer 7 and fully install it

If you already have Internet Explorer 7 please do the following:

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

If this still does not help, it is possible to remove Internet Explorer 7 from Add/Remove Programs (in Windows Xp)
Restart, then re-install the fresh download of Internet Explorer 7

Please let me know how you go.

Im running IE7. I tried your restarting idea... IE appears to be running better so far. Ill let you know how it goes :)

Are you running Internet Explorer Version 6 or Version 7?

You can download Internet Explorer 7 and fully install it

If you already have Internet Explorer 7 please do the following:

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES

To use RIES in Internet Explorer 7, follow these steps:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
3. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
4. When Internet Explorer 7 finishes restoring the default settings, click Close, and then click OK two times.
5. Close Internet Explorer 7. The changes take effect the next time that you open Internet Explorer 7.

Note for users who cannot start Internet Explorer 7 for some reason, use RIES from Internet Options in Control Panel.

If this still does not help, it is possible to remove Internet Explorer 7 from Add/Remove Programs (in Windows Xp)
Restart, then re-install the fresh download of Internet Explorer 7

Please let me know how you go.

Did you uninstall IE7 fully from Add/Remove Programs (Xp only)
Then restart
Then install clean?

Also what Antivirus program are you using?

Are there any other programs starting with Windows?

All scan completed, and any malware removed?

IE7 also supports add-ons which are not limited to visible toolbars. So you should check on that.

From Desktop try Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Internet Explorer (no add ons).

See if that reduces the ram usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back