Internet Explorer with -Haha?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasJas

Heya,

I just saw that my taskbar that the Internet Explorer box comes with the website name and ends with "-Haha".....is my pc infected? i would be very appreciated if someone could help me out with this matter...

thanks

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of JasJas only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thanks Howard,

I have followed all the instrcutions from the given link and nothing to be detected by AVG Antispyware and AVG Antirootkit scan. However from combofix, it identified the wscript.exe with haha.js were the culprits, I have attached the log of hijackthis and combofix, so i would be very appreciated if you could have look on it,thanks

p.s: should i delete those registries such as wscript.exe with haha.js that was detected by combofix?

I attached the lastest hijackthis log as i noticed the -haha.js is back again......

You haven`t posted an AVG Antispyware log as requested, please do so in your next reply.

We need to temporarily disable Spybot search & Destroy`s tea time, as it may interfere with any fix we are trying to run.

Disable Spybot's TeaTimer. This is a two step process.
First:
- Right click Spybot in the System Tray (looks like a calendar with a padlock symbol)
- Choose Exit Spybot S&D Resident
Second:
- Open Spybot S&D
- Click Mode, check Advanced Mode
- Go To Left Panel, Click Tools, then also in left panel, click Resident
- If your firewall raises a question, say OK
- Uncheck the box labeled Resident Tea-Timer and OK any prompts.
- Use File, Exit to terminate Spybot
- Reboot your machine for the changes to take effect.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Haha

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your computer.

Reset your homepage to what ever you want.

Re=enable Spybot`s Teatimer protection.

Post a fresh HJT log as well as an AVG Antispyware log.

This thread is for the use of JasJas only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Dear Howard,

Nothing was detected by AVG anti-spyware so there no log was created, and the hijackthis log was taken when S&D's tea timer was off,

pls refer to the combofix log regarding on the R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Haha, as deleting it alone did not works, i tried that before posting the problem here,they will appear again after awhile it was deleted, so should i delete the infected file and registry which were shown in the combofix log?

It is something like :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\C]
AutoPlay\command- wscript.exe \Haha.js
AutoRun\command- C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.EXE Shell32.DLL,ShellExec_RunDLL wscript.exe \Haha.js
Explore\command- wscript.exe \Haha.js -Clicked
Open\command- wscript.exe \Haha.js
Scan for Viruses\command- wscript.exe \Haha.js
Scan with AVG\command- wscript.exe \Haha.js
Scan with Norton AntiVirus\command- wscript.exe \Haha.js

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\E]
AutoRun\command- E:\autoplay.exe

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{01dfdc6a-3eb8-11dc-82dd-00508de7710e}]
AutoRun\command- C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDLL32.EXE Shell32.DLL,ShellExec_RunDLL wscript.exe \Haha.js

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\mountpoints2\{7bd77258-4465-11dc-b8ee-00508de7710e}]

Please download FindAWF to your Desktop.
Double-click FindAWF.exe to start the tool.
Select "option #1 - Scan for bak folders" by typing 1 and press Enter
When the tool has completed, a report will open up in notepad. Please post the results of the awf.txt as an attachment.

here's the result from the FindAWF,

Find AWF report by noahdfear ©2006
Version 1.40

The current date is: 16/09/2007
The current time is: 22:32:34,39

bak folders found
~~~~~~~~~~~

Duplicate files of bak directory contents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

end of report

Question - would it be better to delete those registry that shown by the combofix log?

Thanks Howard,
it works after the combofix deleted the main cause (autorun.inf) as well as i removed the involved registry.

However this threat is running freely in my campus :(
One of my friend who is using AVIRA detected them as haha.js (java script) but could not able to delete them while the rest of the anti-virus programs are helpless in it.....I think the only way is to use combofix to fix it for the time being. Something fishy about it, as looking through the combofix log file :

would this is how it evade from being detected?

Yes, that does look like the culprit. I wouldn`t be surprised to learn, someone on your campus is doing this deliberately.

The infection is obviously targeting those applications.

Thankfully, Combofix is able to delete the root cause.

but still i wonder why the autorun.inf (the roof of the haha.js) is not visible in the c drive eventough turning on all the invisble file....anyway to detect/see them direct as visible file?

In order to see all files, you would need to turn off the Windows protected OS file feature, see below.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Regards Howard

ok thanks howard now i saw those infected file d....

by any chance would any software will protect my pc from these infection beside runining combofix every day?

well the av cant detect it as well because in the infected registry....

This threat is really a tough one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back