Internet is annoyingly playing up...pls help!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

Hi,

I recently did a fresh install of XP Home SP2 (got all updates) and found my internet hanging at randoms times. Examples include but not limited to:

a) loading flash (loads up to a certain % and stops)
b) loading websites (firefox will say "done" or hang with progress bar half way)
c) downloads in firefox would sometimes either not start or hang randomly

The funny thing is that it will often download or load correctly with a refresh or two of the webpage.

- I have zonealarm Pro 7.0.302.000 and wondering if there would be a problem with it not allowing a connection?? I didn't play around with complicated settings in Zone Alarm, so they should be pretty much factory settings.
- I have something that increases the TCPIP.SYS to the limit of '50'
- I use TCPOptimiser (optimal settings)
- I use peerguardian2 but problems occur even when its 'disabled'

Is there anything I can do to prevent these random hangs/failure to load???

THANKS A LOT GUYS!!!

If you are using Zone Alarm with IE 7.0, that could be part of the problem... as we are seeing a lot of flakey stuff with that combination... but not with IE 6.0 or Firefox 2.0

I second the above suggestion^.

But before uninstalling, make sure HTTP is set to allowed, if it is and it still doesn't work, uninstall it.

it didnt stop the problem even though i allowed http and then uninstalled PeerGuardian2

Any other ideas? Could it be zonealarms fault??

1. Disconnect from the net
2. Uninstall ZoneAlarm and reboot if asked to
3. Enable the Windows Firewall
4. Reconnect to the net
5. Let us know if it works in IE or FF

Is there a way of preserving ZA's settings (firewall allow/block programs list) if I decide to reinstall it??

It could be Zone Alarm; however,
A. Do you, in fact, have the Macromedia Flash Player installed? Go here: http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/ where it will inform you if you have it plus update your version if needed.
B. The default security settings in both IE7 and Firefox will block you from many web sites. You will have to loosen them a bit.
Gene

I do have flash, that's not the problem since it DOES load after a refresh or two. So that also rules out any site blockage.

Does anyone have a way to preserve ZA's settings before I do a complete reinstall of it??? I dont wanna do all that "allow" and "block" process again...

Thanks

The only way is to download and install ZoneAlarm as an upgrade... and that may defeat your purpose.

I've uninstalled ZA and it seemed to cure the problems with the hanging.

Should i
a) Reinstall my older ZA which was fine
b) Use another firewall brand - which is best and uses up less PC resources??

Please recommend!

Thanks so much!

Now I dont have an antispyware program (ZA had it bundled)
Should I get one and which is the smallest and most effective??

When I use uTorrent, it tends to really slow my browser down when i am browsing simultaneously and it will also decrease the download rates dramatically. I've noted that this occurs invariably even when the downloads are going at 10% of my total bandwidth.

Any ideas??
Thanks!

Have you forwarded the uTorrent port through your router to your PC?

Also, torrents are fast unless there are LOTS of seeders.

With all of your "Speed" tweaks, something may have gotten fubar'd. Try WinsockFix.

Yeah i've forwarded ports and stuff. Even on the popular files its got disturbed speeds when I browse at the same time. Do you think I shouldn't open tcpip.sys' limit to the max of 50?? I heard from lots of sources that it's effective in getting faster downloads on BT.

btw, does anyone know if I have to open SpyBot to have the immunisation effective?? It doesn't minimise to tray and it seems quite inconvenient to have it on the task bar opened all the time...
Can I assume that after I click "immunise", i'm protected even though I don't open the program??

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back