Internet is fast but disconnects randomly. Please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

da_head

Hello. Firstly i would like to confirm if this is the correct forum to post internet problems? Well anywayz, i live in Toronto, Canada and i use Bell High Speed Internet. It provides 3mbps (they couldn't give me 5, because of wiring problems in our neighbourhood) which is a pretty decent speed. I've done multiple internet tests with Bell, and free online ones. They all confirmed what i believe:my internet is fast. BUT at random moments, my connection seems to go to 0mbps for like a second, but this can prove to be disruptive while watching movies, on-line gaming, MSN, and etc. It would cause the movie to freeze and force it to rebuffer, it would disconnect me from on-line games, and it would sign me off MSN. This problem can happen once every 15mins or once every 3 hours. It is very random. I've called Bell numerous times, but they have failed to discover the problem. Can you guys be of any assistance? I'm not sure what kind of files to post up to give you guys more info. Please ask if you need any specfic info. Thanks

Btw i bought a router and laptop recently, which i've been told might weaken my internet BUT i had this problem before i got a router and new computer. However, it mite be worth looking into the router for issues?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Let`s check to make sure your system isn`t infected with anything nasty.

Go and read this thread HERE. Post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread and I`ll take a look and advise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

is this a desktop or laptop system? I've seen laptops freeze for ~30sec while
the fan kicks-in which could impact your connectivity.

Is it wireless? I had the same problems with my wireless but fixed it, let me know.

Regards,

Korrupt

Ummm. I'm pretty sure it's nothing wrong with my comps (one is brand new). I have norton on both computers and I don't download illegal stuff. but I'll do the hjt process anywayz. as I said, I had this problem with my desktop before I bought the laptop and also experienced it with the laptop the first time I used the internet with it. I doubt the laptop came with a virus.....especially the same one as my desktop. I have 2 comps. a laptop (which is wireless) and a desktop (not wireless). as I said, I had this problem before I got the laptop. therefore, it can't be the router's problem but bell has told me routers signficantly weaken ur signal. however, I have a friend who uses bell, and networks 4 computers with no issues so....btw korrupt. can u please tell me what you did to fix your problem? perhaps it is worth a shot? thanks for all your help guys.

I'll add the attachement of the hjt thing after.

this is the one for the laptop

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    8.2 KB · Views: 7
Heres the desktop. and thank you howard for checking the laptop.:D

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    7.6 KB · Views: 14
Your desktop has a worm.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Download and run LSPFix from http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

1. Run LSPFix.
2. Check 'I know what I'm doing'.
3. Select ua_lsp.dll
4. Click the right-pointing arrow (moves it to the "remove" page).
5. Click 'Finished'.

Reboot your computer.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

WinProfile

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

sndcfg16.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O3 - Toolbar: MSN - {BDAD1DAD-C946-4A17-ADC1-64B5B4FF55D0} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Themes\blank (file missing)

O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [WinProfile] sndcfg16.exe

O9 - Extra button: mSpace Toolbar - {ED46E61C-C391-49ED-82F8-A3DCAA44671F} - (no file)

O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: mSpace Toolbar - {ED46E61C-C391-49ED-82F8-A3DCAA44671F} - (no file)

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.iframedollars.biz (HKLM)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

sndcfg16.exe Search your system for this file and delete all instances of it.

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

ummm when i go to run and type in LSPFix, it says windows cannot find it. Tried same thing on the laptop and same message. What am i doing wrong?

Lol thanks. You sure do reply quickly :D

Ok, i did everything you told me to. Heres the updated log. Hopefully its all clean. If i am, and i still have the problem, what should i do next? (I'll check if my internet still has issues)

That's good to hear :) However, unfortunately i'm still having problems with my internet. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

It could be something is accessing the net and sucking all your bandwidth.

Try having your task manager open, see if any process suddenly starts when your problem occurs.

Other than that, I`ve no ideas.

Well i don't think it's a software issue (2 computers having the problem at the same time?) Iunno, maybe it's worth a try. Possibly, there's something wrong with my physical line. Sigh

Go through your modem and your router settings and connections.. if its adsl, take out any phones connected to the line and plug the modem before the splitter, then see if its stable, then add bits to it (the splitter, then phone etc) and test again untill you find out whats causing the disruption..

If its not adsl, then just take a look for some settings on how long the connection is maintained, something about "always connect" or similar and set it to stay connected no matter what..

Umm i'm not sure if it's adsl. i use the DI-624 D-Link router. My ISP is Bell High Speed internet which i believe is a PPPoE connection. The modem is hooked up directly to the wall. My WAN is set to Always-On. My LAN has DNS relay set to on. Should that be on or off?

anyone else have any suggestions please?

o btw a random question. is there somewhere on the website where we can check the ranks from beginner (newcomer) to ultimate pro (ts special forces)? and how many posts are need to obtain each level? (except for special forces of course)

I seriously think it might be a DNS issue, How does you signal come in, type modem, also see if modem is connected to the phoneline or to any other appliance.

What do u mean by DNS issue? Umm my signal comes in via a phoneline? My modem is an Efficent Network Speedstream 5200. My modem is hooked up directly to the phone jack. The router in turn is hooked up to the modem. My desktop is connected with a wire to the router and my laptop recieves the signal wirelessly.

howard_hopkinso said:
Check out the Techspot FAQ HERE.

Thanks. Enthuasist here i come :D

da_head said:
What do u mean by DNS issue? Umm my signal comes in via a phoneline?

see items 3,4

the gateway accesses your ISP and the most frequent thing you do is resolve
a URL or domain-names into their corresponding ip-address.

if your browser makes a request for http://foo.com/ and your DNS times out,
you will not get to the site and instead you see Paged Not Displayed or Site Not Found.

Ok.. so we know its an ADSL connection (goes to the phone line), have you taken out all the other phones/devices attatched to it, including the splitter/filters and just have the modem pluged in directly to the wall and to the PC (if possible, so to bypass the router for now) and see if it stableize, then start adding bits to it if it does become stable starting with the router..

Its worthwile to go through the troubleshooting guide made by jobeard in the above post to help you determine if it is wrong connection settings or not etc..

also check your ISP to see if they have any issues in your area regarding their network as well..

thanks guys for all your suggestions. as soon as i have time to act on them, i'll let you know what happened.

jobeard said:
see items 3,4

the gateway accesses your ISP and the most frequent thing you do is resolve
a URL or domain-names into their corresponding ip-address.

if your browser makes a request for http://foo.com/ and your DNS times out,
you will not get to the site and instead you see Paged Not Displayed or Site Not Found.

hey guys long time no c. Sorry i've been quite busy (school) but i'm back now. i tried all the ping tests and everything is perfect (no time outs). my regular internet is fine but as i said it likes to disconnect randomly.

N3051M said:
Ok.. so we know its an ADSL connection (goes to the phone line), have you taken out all the other phones/devices attatched to it, including the splitter/filters and just have the modem pluged in directly to the wall and to the PC (if possible, so to bypass the router for now) and see if it stableize, then start adding bits to it if it does become stable starting with the router..

Its worthwile to go through the troubleshooting guide made by jobeard in the above post to help you determine if it is wrong connection settings or not etc..

also check your ISP to see if they have any issues in your area regarding their network as well..

yes i have taken out all phones and other devices. it is just the modem connected. i have gone through the troubleshooting guide and i have contaced my ISP and they claim to have no problems.

Any other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back