Internet massive data upload problem

By Leea25
Sep 30, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so apologies if not.

I have recently been in touch with my ISP about upgrading my service and we were talking about various packages. This touched on download limits and the amount I download - I download a lot of music, watch a lot of video/iplayer on-line etc. Nevertheless, he said I had only downloaded 34.5GB in the last 90 days, which didn't seem that much. He then mentioned that I had uploaded a massive 160 GB in the same period!! I have no idea how that has happened - I don't have a youtube or vimeo account, I rarely send large attachments on e-mails and I don't use file sharing sites. I'm worried something is 'hijacking' my computer as I have been plagued by random crashes, memory errors and slow internet speeds (average 2-3mbps on a 20mbps connection). I have been googling and not found any solutions, so I thought I'd ask here. Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

2. DjKraid

DjKraid TS Guru Posts: 536   +21

I don't know what the problem could be but I have a few points to make..If you use a torrent program you also upload at the same time as you download, if you play games it downloads and uploads (but not so much) and then if you have a 20megs connection the max download speed sould be ~2 to 3mbps, it's a common mistake (at least here) that people think that if they have (for ex.) a 100mbs connection that that also would be the max download speed (when the actual max download speed is ~11mbps).
  3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

4. Leea25

Leea25 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks Mailpup, I'll have a look.

DjKraid, I don't use torrent porgrammes - I have done in the past, but not for 6 months or more. I don't think games would end up uploading 160gig(!), though I do use Impulse and Steam.

According to Virgin, the average speed for a 20mbps connection in my area is 6-8mbps, minus a little bit for the fact that I am using wireless. The 20mpbs would be the theoretical speed you would get if you had zero distance between your computer and the exchange, I believe. The low download speeds may have nothing to do with it, but I thought it odd. Sometimes, at busy times, my connection speed used to dip as low as 0.5mbps, but Virgin carried out some upgrades to fix that.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,156   +598

*IF* massive uploads are taking place, it will take significant time.
    Using Cports from an admin account will show all connections (in/out)

the 6th column is the remote connection (aka the upload/download site)
    and 8th is the program performing the action.

The big give away would be to see a program in %userprofile%\Locals~1\Temp\A748z.exe connected to an unknown site.

You can also terminate (ie close) a connection (right-click on any line and close tcp)
  6. Leea25

Leea25 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Many thanks jobeard, I'll give it a try.