Internet massive data upload problem

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, so apologies if not.

I have recently been in touch with my ISP about upgrading my service and we were talking about various packages. This touched on download limits and the amount I download - I download a lot of music, watch a lot of video/iplayer on-line etc. Nevertheless, he said I had only downloaded 34.5GB in the last 90 days, which didn't seem that much. He then mentioned that I had uploaded a massive 160 GB in the same period!! I have no idea how that has happened - I don't have a youtube or vimeo account, I rarely send large attachments on e-mails and I don't use file sharing sites. I'm worried something is 'hijacking' my computer as I have been plagued by random crashes, memory errors and slow internet speeds (average 2-3mbps on a 20mbps connection). I have been googling and not found any solutions, so I thought I'd ask here. Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Lee

I don't know what the problem could be but I have a few points to make..If you use a torrent program you also upload at the same time as you download, if you play games it downloads and uploads (but not so much) and then if you have a 20megs connection the max download speed sould be ~2 to 3mbps, it's a common mistake (at least here) that people think that if they have (for ex.) a 100mbs connection that that also would be the max download speed (when the actual max download speed is ~11mbps).

Thanks Mailpup, I'll have a look.

DjKraid, I don't use torrent porgrammes - I have done in the past, but not for 6 months or more. I don't think games would end up uploading 160gig(!), though I do use Impulse and Steam.

According to Virgin, the average speed for a 20mbps connection in my area is 6-8mbps, minus a little bit for the fact that I am using wireless. The 20mpbs would be the theoretical speed you would get if you had zero distance between your computer and the exchange, I believe. The low download speeds may have nothing to do with it, but I thought it odd. Sometimes, at busy times, my connection speed used to dip as low as 0.5mbps, but Virgin carried out some upgrades to fix that.

Thanks,
Lee

*IF* massive uploads are taking place, it will take significant time.
Using Cports from an admin account will show all connections (in/out)

currportsss.jpg

the 6th column is the remote connection (aka the upload/download site)
and 8th is the program performing the action.

The big give away would be to see a program in %userprofile%\Locals~1\Temp\A748z.exe connected to an unknown site.

You can also terminate (ie close) a connection (right-click on any line and close tcp)

Back