Internet Networking

By XtR-X
Jun 19, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Is there any way I can get 2 comps connected to the internet from my non DHCP-supported cable connection on just a switch?

And I don't want any computer to be a server, say:

comp 1 is on, comp 2 is off, comp 1 has internet
    comp 1 is off, comp 2 is on, comp 2 has internet
    comp 1 is on, comp 2 is on, comp 1 and 2 have internet

All feedback and thoughts are greatly supported.

Also, one comp will be using ASPLinux, the other will be on Windows. However, if the solution is windows only, I'd like to hear it, thanks.
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I don't think this is possible with simply a switch. You will need a router.
  3. alphnumeric

alphnumeric Newcomer, in training Posts: 209

You will have to use a router or lease two IP address from your ISP. A router can do NAT, network address translation, a switch can't. Most routers have a switch built in.
  4. XtR-X

XtR-X Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 1,040

That's what I thought. I was looking for an alternative method bot nevermind that, thanks anyways guys.
  5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,409   +280

Alternative method would be something like a linux box acting as a router....
  6. coredump

coredump Newcomer, in training

a switch is a bit, a router is a byte. trying to make your net work on cable with a bit will byte.
  7. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 Newcomer, in training Posts: 645

Thanks coredump for that interesting analogy...

Linux box won't work because then he'll have the server which he didn't want. Your modem not being DHCP doesn't matter, thats what the router does. A switch won't work for your needs either, so a router is your only choice and you don't even have to let your cable company know you have it...
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.