Internet not working after removing Norton and spyware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all -

A week or two ago, I noticed our home desktop had gotten some sort of virus that caused IE to go to ad pages when we clicked on google results, rather than to the appropriate website. To combat the problem, I downloaded spybot and ad-aware and ran them both, and then also purchased Norton Anti-Virus 2010 and installed that as well. My computer immediately began to run at a glacier-like pace - far slower than it had previously. More importantly, it lost the ability to connect to the internet.

I used the add/remove programs to remove each of those programs (as well as a McAfee program that I found saved to our desktop - no idea how long it had been there or what it was doing, but I don't think it was operating). I also used the Norton removal tool I found on the symantec website. No luck - the computer is still running extremely slowly, and it cannot connect to the internet. The laptop, however, continues to work fine off of the wireless network.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am desperate!

We only handle "slow" in this forum if it's related to malware.

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .

If you cannot access the internet to download the programs from the problem computer, download them to a flash drive, then install on the problem computer.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Please be sure that you have one antivirus program that is running and updating. Understand that a "suite" such as those from McAfee and Norton have a large number of entries and will use more resources. Getting free, standalone AV and Firewall cuts down on this but give the protection needed:

Both of the following antivirus programs are free and known to be good: (Use only one)
Avira Free
Avast Home

Both of the following software firewalls are free and good: (Use only one)
Comodo
Zone Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back