Internet Problem(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, here is the scoop, two days ago i downloaded utorrent and tried to download something. However when i did this, i had to what is called "port forwarding" or "portmapping" in order to open up a port for my router to accept the incoming connection. After i did this, i restarted my comp, and upon restarting, i ran "utorrent". It started working fine, then my computer suddenly slowed to a screeching halt, then i got messages from "cybersitter" (dear god i hate that program) and it said something about it not being able to filter the file. So i did a hard restart and tried again, same thing happened, hard restart one more time, only this time......none of my programs could connect to the internet. I did the ping command, and my computer identifies the router, and i can ping websites, but i cannot use any online programs (IE, MSN, AIM, ect). Next i ran my ISP's connection software cd and it worked just fine and said i was connected to the internet, well however true that may be i still couldnt use online programs. Internet explorer only gives me "res://ieframe.dll/...." error and wont open any websites. I ran my router cd, but after it checks my settings, it asks for a password, (which i enter) and it repeats checking the system and asking for a password over and over again. Fusterated i ran network diagnostic (i have XP home edition service pack 2) and everything works EXCEPT my IP address, thats the only thing that doesnt work, i have manually put in ip addresses, i've tried using the DCHP, i have unplugged the router and modem, but it is still to no avail, it still cannot use any online programs, even though my computer says i am connected to the internet, i even went into the properties of my LAN connect and it shows me receiving and sending information. I've tried the winsocks program to fix my registries, but that didnt work, i ran it 3 times.

Is there anything more i can do to fix this? is it as complex as it seems?

other important info may be that my registry editting is disabled and i cannont use "system restore"

Any help at all would be appreciated.....i am at wits end here

note: i will be leaving aug 9th and wont be returning till aug 16th, so if you post anything and i dont reply, i will as soo as i return

Try this:

Start -> Run -> cmd -> ipconfig /release -> ipconfig renew

See if that fixes your IP problem.

BTW, are you using a static IP address or dynamic? You mentioned that you have DHCP, therefore, you should have your Network Card set to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

i have tried ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew multiple times, but that doesnt work, it still doesnt work. Do have a static ip address and my network carp is set up to obtain the IP address automatically, but that still doesnt work, have i missed a step somewhere?

If you're using DHCP then you are NOT using a static IP address! Make sure your network card is set to obtain an IP address!

ok that makes sense. I have my network card set to obtain the ip address, then i went the command prompt and did ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew. After doing that, i still get the same problem.

btw: what is the difference between static and dymanic ip addresses? (yes i am noob, but i want to learn)

Static means it's always the same, it never changes.

Dynamic means it's not always the same (in fact, almost never the same twice in a row!)

DHCP uses a subset of IP address that it can assign. Your network card must be set to obtain a dynamically allocated IP address.

ok, i understand, thats why when i logged into my router that it says there are 50 ip address it can use and why i sometimes get ip addressc conflicts with the other computers using the network.

My network card is set to obtaining the ip addresses automatically, same as every other computer on my network, which by the way can all access the internet no problem, but even after releasing and renewing the ip address, my computer still will not let me online. If this thickens the plot at all, according to my network connects, i am still sending and receiving information, more info sent than received. Does that make any sense?

Check for spyware. I've seen spyware cause Internet connection problems in the past. I recommend using the following 3 anti-spyware utils:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free.

ok, i have spybot search and destory and ad-adware. I have ran both of them a few times, spyboy comes back with a "virtumonde" thing that appears to be in my registry, but everytime i go to get rid of it, it says it cannot delete it and to restart and try again, but everytime it doesnt work. I'll see if i can get avg anti-spyware onto my computer and use that. Thanks again for your replies!

Did this resolve your problem with programs not able to connect over the Internet? Were the anti-spyware utilities able to download updates?

Try running the utilities in Safe Mode with Networking.

You may need to run a repair installation. Are you using XP? Do you have an installation CD?

i ran AVG anti-spyware, and it caught a few trojans on my computer (trojan.maget and trojan.small) and i got those deleted, right now i am restarting my computer.

if it still doesnt work, i'll start up in safemode and try the anti spyware programs again. Just to see if there is anything left over.

As for a having the original windows xp sp2 installation cd, i do not have it (complicated situation) but i do have the floppy disks with the recovery councel on them. I will try that if the above does not work.

once again, thank you

Spyware Terminator works better than those listed above. Plus the opensource community keeps it going..

Peerguardian2 block all 5 items (govern, edu, spyware, adware, p2p by IP)
Spyware Terminator (trojans, adware, mailware, spyware blocker/clearner)
Ad Muncher (all kinds of adware blocker, popup stopper)
Armor2net (Firewall, Spyware blocker/cleaner, popup stopper)
NOD32 AV (trojans, mailware, spyware blocker/clearner, viruses blocker/cleaner)

IE SP2 popup blocker so 3 layer popup blocker
Spyblaster add-on for spyware blocking

No system slowdown, which is better...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back