Internet Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I turned my computer on today and found that I wasn't recieving a wireless signal and that my wireless card wasn't even being recognized by my computer. So i put my wireless card in my roomates computer and it was recognized immediatly. Then I plugged my ethernet cord directly into my computer and still was unable to access the internet. What should I do to troubleshoot and fix my problem?

Please, if you have an idea let me know because I just started back to college today and my laptop is my most important tool. Thanks

Bolt0086 said:
I turned my computer on today and found that I wasn't recieving a wireless signal and that my wireless card wasn't even being recognized by my computer. So i put my wireless card in my roomates computer and it was recognized immediatly. Then I plugged my ethernet cord directly into my computer and still was unable to access the internet. What should I do to troubleshoot and fix my problem?

Please, if you have an idea let me know because I just started back to college today and my laptop is my most important tool. Thanks

Hi Bolt0086 welcome to the TS Forum

You might have 2 issues here so we'll start with the faulty WIFI NIC, first have you tried using the other PCMCIA slot ? if not try it and see if the card is then recognised.

If it does problem solved ( I do get this with mine occasionally and swapping PCMCIA slots works).

If it doesn't then chances are the PCMCIA slots have an issue, mostly this can occur if the driver goes ga ga,

To fix it go into Device Manager and uninstall the PCMCIA slots, Reboot once done and let Windows refind them.

Now try the card and hopefully all is well.

As for the on board NIC (or Ethernet Card NIC), you say your on wireless so I will go on the basis of a Router being in place, the card may not be set to recieve an IP address via DHCP, Go into control panel and double click network connections, double click the ICON associated with the NIC , MOST IMPORTANT IS TO MAKE SURE IT IS ENABLED, It will show as either under its name, if it is disabled, enable it, then double click the icon, now in the box double click the TCP/IP and check it is set to get its address via DHCP, close all the boxes out and reboot the PC, this will enable the NIC to get an address via the router.

I think that might do, but please let us know if its not.

Regards

Bolt0086 said:
Thanks for the help Ididmyc600 but my internet still isn't working. :(

OK then try this .

With the WIFI card out, do Start > Run > cmd >enter.

In the Box type ipconfig /all (see the space between the g and the /)

copy the results and paste them in here.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back