Internet Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenko

Ok so I'm going to be getting this new computer soon and don't want to have to get another cable line installed so how does a wireless modem work? Does it just like "read" your internet connection without being plugged in? And how does the computer recieve the internet signal? And also... will it be as fast as my non-wireless modem is right now? And are modems fast enough for World of Warcraft or is there faster internet for cheap? Also if I wanted to have my Xbox 360 AND Computer hooked up to the internet how would that work? Would I have to get more cable wires installed or no?
Thanks in advance everyone,
Tenko

Hmmm...why do you ask? :)

Wireless DSL and Cable is used for mobile computers, and can used for other computer. It is a DSL and Cable without wires plugged in your computer.

No, Wireless is much slower than DSL and Cable and might lose the signal over time. Your neighbours can steal your bandwidths if u using the wireless.

If you wish to keep a line for your computer and XBOX 360... you will need the router.

So Wireless Modems arent the answer? Wow that sucks.. now i need to get a line installed for my computer modem... then i have to get a router so my 360 works at the same time.... /cry
Can anyone give me a price range or link for a router?
And how much do you think an extra internet line would cost?

Tenko said:
.... and don't want to have to get another cable line installed ...
Normally, the cable (as in Cable TV) company can provide Internet Service (they become your ISP). A modem is installed to the Coaxial and from there a wire to your router (which can be wireless). So there's only one Cable into the house and a short cable to your router.

My modem is hooked up to my computer atm and i dont have a router... yet. Anyways what would having a router help because since i am getting a second computer i will need a second modem and a second line which would need to be installed. If you can explain to me how i could get 2 computers and my Xbox 360... or even just 2 computers in different parts of the house... to work using only one modem and one cable line... that would help a ton! I just dont understand how to get it to work... and if it involves a router thats fine i can buy one but please try and explain.

Having a router would extend your home network, so you would not need to add a second cable line or modem. A router is installed between the modem and any computers you want to connnect to the internet (in order: wall jack --> cable modem --> router --> multiple computers). If you use a wireless router you can install a wireless card in your new computer (uses a pci slot) and not have to worry about any wires. Also, you should be able to connect wirelessly to your Xbox 360. Check out this link and some of the reviews, seem to be a good product.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190

Ok so now i get that... but for my 360 i just buy a card thing for it? or do i plug it into the router? or does it just automatically read the internet connection and connect? and does the wireless card come with the router or do i have to buy one? and how much do they cost? and what if my comp only has AGP or PCI Express slots? Will it still work? Lastly will the connection speed be as good on the computer with the modem as it will with my computer or xbox 360 all the way across my house? Oh and if my 360 wont work wirelessly i can do what ive always done... just hook it up directly to my modem haha with a big long like 30 foot cord that my parents trip over... =/
Anyways... Thx so far... I'm almost done building my dream computer for my room haha =)

To your question about your 360, I'm not sure if you need to buy and adapter to use a wireless connection. You should check your user manual for that. The wireless card for your computer would probably cost 20-30 bucks. Here is a link to one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16839121008. There are many others to choose from also.

What motherboard are you using? I would think that it would come with at least one regular PCI slot. Your connection may be a little bit slower, mainly due to the fact that the wireless connection is 54 Mbps and the wired connection would be 100 Mbps. That being said, I have a great connection between my wireless laptop and my router (router in basement in far corner and laptop in opposite corner upstairs).

Also, with the example router from my previous post you would not need to plug your 360 directly into the modem if you choose to go wired. The router comes with a 4 port Switch built in. So you can connect up to 4 devices to the router at the same time via network cables.

Well i get how they work now that i read that thing... So the connection speed will be halfed if i use a wireless router? Hmm... Well i guess it'll have to work... Would one of those USB Adapters work because my 360 has USB ports that would work? Like 2 of these?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833328103
Look under reviews and they have no cons so it should be good enough... and it would be awesome because my 360 and PC have USB ports... Would 56MBPS be good enough for world of warcraft? or not? Anyways... thanks a ton for all your help!

It would appear that that the USB option isn't too bad of an idea. Again, you'll need to check your Xbox manual to see if it has wireless built in. Should work fine for your desktop, though. 54Mbps should work just fine, cable connections are usually only 4-8Mbps anyway.

Well, I checked my manual and it said that you can buy an Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adapter but... http://www.provantage.com/xbox-360-wireless-network-adapter~220153452.htm $83 is a little much... Anyways... how do i connect my modem to a router? I have one of those Motorola little modems with the blinking lights. Also, say i get a wireless router... will it still have a slot so that i can plug my 360 into that? Cuz my 360 isnt too far away from my current computer so i can just plug it into the wireless router...
Thanks a ton,
Tenko

Here we go! I found the perfect router... it's Xbox Live compatible too!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010
I'm still a little confused on how i get my modem hooked up to the router though...
Ive got a Motorala modem with 6 lights on the front... and 4 slots in the back. A cable slot (attached to my cable line), an ethernet slot (attached to my computer), USB slot (open), and a power slot (attached to an outlet). The USB slot is the only open one so i have no clue how i would get it hooked to a router.
Can someone explain this to me please?

If you look at the picture of the rear of the Router you sent the link for, you can see that there are 5 ports on the rear. The port on the left is the one you use to connect your modem (from its ethernet port) and the router. This port is usually labeled Internet. The other 4 ports can be used to connect your other computers or 360 via wired connection. You can also connect with wireless devices at the same time.

ya i know that but what cord do i use to connect my modem and my router? do i have to go buy a usb cord or what? o i connect it from the ethernet port? but that port has a cord in it or do i just unplug that cord and plug it in to the router? if i did that it would hook the router up to my computer and the modem wouldnt be hooked to my computer anymore..

nickslick74 said:
... 54Mbps should work just fine, cable connections are usually only 4-8Mbps anyway.
Hard wired ethernet is rated 10/100 Mbps. With the top thruput of ~70%, the actual sustained rate would be 7/70Mbps, depending on the lowest speed NIC in the path.

Right from the ethernet port. The computer you have connected to your modem right now can then be connected to your router.

In my previous reply, I meant that the actual cable connection with the ISP would only be around 4-8 Mbps. Internal LAN speed would be as you said.

Cheers! Off to the cabin for the weekend!

Hey everyone, I'm back again with a little more knowledge (and some questioins) :D.
Anyways, first, how long does it take to set up a wireless connection?
Second, is it bad to mix and match routers and cards?
Third, I have been reccomended Netgear but don't know if Linksys is the better way to go. (any reccomendations?)
Fourth, since the router and card I am currently looking at
->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124190
->http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130111
both have up to 54Mbps and my internet speed is only 3Mbps, it won't be slower on my new connection right? (or is the 3 and 54 two totally different numbers?)
Fifth, how much slower, if slower at all, would my new connection be? (router would be one floor lower and through one wall)
Anyways, thanks for the help and hopefully someone can help me a lil bit more :D,
Tenko

Well, I'm debating over the WRT54GL and the WRT54GS but don't know which to get. Also, I don't really know what wireless card to get. Lastly, can anyone answer my above questions please? :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back