Internet related crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got connected to the internet and had some problems with the computer shutting down to status code 128 when I connected to the internet. I've followed the instructions for cleaning my computer up to step 11. My rootkit scan didn't show any rootkits on the computer at this point, but I found some malware and trojans and things in the other scans. How should I continue from here?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Try Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem persists. If it does, then try System Restore.

Hi,

Please continue to step 12 and complete the remaining steps in that thread you had been following for cleaning your system.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of kcolloran only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

almcneil said:
Correction! A reformat & reinstall is the last resort!

A system restore is not a second last resort either, as it depends on the situation.
A restore from a restore point (which contains snapshots of your registry)
is unlikely to fix anything as whatever was in the registry that caused the problem
is also in the restore point. To get results from a restore point, you need to
know when the problem(s) did not exist -- not easy to remember or discover.
Reaching way back in time is no guarantee and only creates/fouls your
installed programs forcing you to reinstall them.

A system restore from your original or OEM CD will certainly work, but it too
has issues with installed programs and many OEM restores will in fact reformat
your HD and you get to start over; no programs, no music, no photos.
Yes you have a clean system and it works nicely again,
but consider the emotional cost of your lost data.

If you find it impossible to get things cleaned out and elect to start over,
be sure to offload/copy your precious data files to a secondary, external device first :)

Hi,

You have not attached your logs until now. Please do so in your next reply or it would be quite difficult to provide you any form of instructions for cleaning, or whether your system is beyond hope.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of kcolloran only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back