Internet seems to bottleneck

By chrisw87
Mar 3, 2010
  1. I'm having problems with my internet.

When I open up Skype any new pages I try to load in Firefox seem to stop working but then after a while will start to work again. I'm not sure if it's a problem caused by Skype as sometimes when I load Chrome and Firefox they're unresponsive.

It's as though the connection can't handle all the requests and is bottlenecking. (That's the best way I can think to describe it.)

Sadly I'm using a pretty old system, a Dell Dimension 8400, Windows XP (which I've just rebooted, wonder if this could be the problem) with Service Pack 2.

My internet is Virgin Broadband 50mb which I share with 5 other flatmates. My wireless router is a Linksys WUSB300N. I'm not sure whether it's something to do with the router settings, computer settings or Skype itself.

If you need any more details let me know.

Thanks in advance.

2. Broni

Broni Malware Annihilator Posts: 52,796   +343

That's probably the issue.

Please, post some computer info:
    - processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
    - hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
    - security programs in use (antivirus, firewall)
  3. chrisw87

chrisw87 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply Broni.

I'm on a Pentium 4 3.20gz processor with 2.5gb of RAM (added 2 myself).
    I've got 117gb of free disk space.
    I use avira antivirus, the standard windows firewall. I also use malwarebytes, spybot, ccleaner when required.

I have a feeling it may be something to do either with the wireless adapter itself or something limiting the amount of request which are being made (if that's possible).

4. Broni

Your computer specs look good :)

Download Autoruns for Windows:
    No installation required.
    Simply unzip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
    Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
    You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Attach the file to your next reply.
  5. chrisw87

The file is attached. More than I expected on there as I use the built in autorun manager in Revo Uninstaller to stop processes starting up. Perhaps it isn't working as well as it should.

Hopefully you'll be able to answer that.

Attached Files:

6. Broni

Nothing out of order there.

Do you have a physical possibility to hardwire your computer to a router?
    Are the other computers having any issues?

What speeds are reported here?
  7. chrisw87

Sadly it's not possible to hardwire my computer, I would in a second if I could.

Other have had issues but nothing as major as how mine seems to be. I know for a fact others use Skype without any loss of connection or problems.

Is my speed test out of the ordinary?

8. Broni

I'd say, for 50Mb/s ISP advertised speed, it's rather low. "Ping" is rather high as well.
    Still at 3Mb/s, you shouldn't be having such serious issues.
    Is anyone else using same router at this moment?
  9. chrisw87

Yeah the ping is also a problem. I play Team Fortress 2 and have been struggling to play recently as ping has always been above 100, when it used to be closer to 20 constantly. Any ideas?

Currently there are four other people in all using the internet or playing online on their games console. Surely this shouldn't cause such a drastic problem?
  10. Broni

Well, yes. Basically, you're sharing one connection with other people.
    Maybe, you should borrow a wireless card from one of your friends and see, if the card itself is not the problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.