Internet sharing problem - (2 PC's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork

I have a good internet connection, and use a netgear router.

Modem's plugged into the router, router's plugged into both PC's. (Both PC's in same room)

Basically the problem is that when one computer is on anything more than MSN Messeneger, e.g downloading something, then the other computer will be completely slow. Most of the time the internet wont function at all.

I thought this wasn't meant to happen but its clearly not a coincidence. When the one computer is logged off or turned off, the other one will perform fantasically and vice versa. However internet browsing, communicating and downloading is strictly no-no if done on both coputers at the same time.

I'd appreciate some help - it's annoying haveing to leave the computer when my dad needs to get some work done ;|

Thanks

Pork

Change your router. Go with a Cisco/Linksys, or D-Link brand router. Are you using DSL or Cable Internet?

Tmagic650 said:
Change your router. Go with a Cisco/Linksys, or D-Link brand router. Are you using DSL or Cable Internet?

Linksys & D-link are the same crap Netgear is. Infact, many of these companies share the same chipsets designed by Broadcom etc... So playing brand favorites will get you nowhere. Cisco shouldn't be mentioned when talking about Linksys - they are completely different despite sharing the same umbrella.

It sounds like a routing problem - especially if your connection just completely dies.

Can you give us more information on your setup? IP addresses, gateways, subnets, routers, access points, hubs, switches, type of Internet service, model of router, model of modem, what online activities might be routine for the both of you and any troubleshooting done on your part already? If you can answer any of these questions, it will help us get started in the right direction. :) If you need any help finding this info, please let us know.

Cisco owns Linksys Rick,
you are entitled to you own opinions of course. I know there might well be a configuration problem with pork's router, but being a long time user of Cisco and Linksys, I have not had many configuration problems using that equipment.

Sounds like pork needs to reset the router to it's default settings. He doesn't need to be confused with all the "IP addresses, gateways, subnets, routers, access points, hubs, switches, type of Internet service, model of router" etc... He might just need to replace the router. It could be that simple

Tmagic650 said:
Cisco owns Linksys Rick,
Oh I know, I used a "umbrella metaphor" to symbolize that without actually coming out and saying it. :)

You're correct - brand preference and lack of preference are certainly opinion.

I don't mean to force my opinion on anyone, but I think it important for people to question brandnames like Linksys. I've certainly seen my share of very bad Linksys products, as well as other companies, yet people stick to their guns and don't explore other great products.

pork said:
Basically the problem is that when one computer is on anything more than MSN Messeneger, e.g downloading something, then the other computer will be completely slow. Most of the time the internet wont function at all.
the ICS model is
modem -- systemA -- ICS -- systemB
The big advantage is systemA can control the firewall for both system{A.B}.
However, both still need private copies of antivirus protection.

Big disadvantages are
  1. systemA must be running if systemB is to have any connectivity
  2. systemA must do the routing from the modem to systemB
  3. any CPU cycles on A will detract from network performance on B
as systemA will also required a second NIC, your money would be better spent
buying a cheap router to avoid ALL of these disadvantages :)

... or it should be: Modem - - router WAN - - router port0- - SystemA- - router port1- - SystemB

System A and System B share the Internet connection independently. Only the modem and router need to be on for the computers to be able to access the Internet. You can even share files and printers between Systems A and B

Rick,
I have a big box of Netgear and D-link NIC's and routers that were replaced by Cisco, Linksys routers. Cisco makes some hi-end routers, hubs and switches. We're not talking about hi-end here. I'm talking home networking basically

Okay. I'm trying my hardest to understand what's gone on in this thread. I will try and elaborate.

Rick;

If System A is on MSN Messenger and Firefox, and System B is on MSN Messenger and firefox, it will usually be System that goes insanely slow. Sometimes it's okay.

But if System B (my pc) is on an online game such as Call of duty 2 or using bittorrent, system A's internet will be very very slow.

My router is a Netgear WGT624.

There is a "restore factory settings" button on the router. Would this help? And is there a way to save my previous settings incase it doesn't?

THanks

pork said:
But if System B (my pc) is on an online game such as Call of duty 2 or using bittorrent, system A's internet will be very very slow.
so you have
modem -- systemA -- ICS -- systemB​
and gaming on B impacts the networking usage on A.
(actually A would impact B also). The alternative wiring
Code:
Modem - - router - -SystemA
          :
        systemB
would still consume the same bandwidth
(although the CPU cycles in A would have no effect on performance).

THIS IS NOT A SETTINGS ISSUE, this is typicall tcp/ip. Once a bandwidth hog
is active, it will impact all other users on that subnet. Network admins fight this
problem all the time.

Tcp/ip was built for sort conversation; sort in message length and time duration.
Gaming is just very intense in its usage of TCP and there's just no speed
control you can apply to one user. Gaming pushes TCP to the limit and is
very disruptive to network users. Commercial admins typically prohibit gaming
for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back