TechSpot

Intro

By makethedoe
Oct 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I worked as an electronics field service technician for 30 years for Lanier Business Products and have repaired down to component level on business recording equipment for most of that time. We sold equipment to hospitals, doctor's offices, large and small law firms, insurance companies... basically any who dictated information that needed to be written down for records or for correspondence. Lanier was the first to develop a continuous loop recoder. As the need for high capacity capability was needed, these units were made 5 feet tall to hold up to 6 hours of magnetic recording tape. Cable was run to proprietary dictate stations and transcribe stations throughout a facility to allow dictation and transcription to occur. Also, "call-in" devices were developed to use telephone lines for dictation and transcription. These devices used to drive me crazy. With any change in temperature, the first generation of ICs used to detect "touch tones" required readjusting with a scope and tone generator to bring them back in range and at any one facility there could be 20 or more of these devices. A large bank of recorders could be monitored by a console that would count the number of minutes recorded and subtract from this count the number of minutes transcribed. It did this using an optical system that counted a tiny hole made in the tape that was spaced evenly along the length of the tape. Each time a hole passed through the optical system, a gas needle type of gauge would increment up when dictated and increment down when transcribed. Once digital recording was developed, computers and hard drives became the norm so board swapping, hard drive replacement and software troubleshooting became the mode of repair. The field service industry has changed a lot. I have noticed that the average field service tech no longer has, or maybe needs, the people skills that was required when I was in the field.
    Thank you for inviting me in and I hope to be able to contribute from time to time.

2. B00kWyrm

B00kWyrm TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,436   +37

Hi makethedoe :wave:

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

You may find these to be helpful links...

How to post a new thread in this Guide.

Before posting you should read all the Posting Guidelines.

To access technical support Forums.

Many users like to post system specs in their Profile.
    System Specs are always helpful when you seek support, (see the first two suggestions).
    And helpers may ask that you post some of your specs in your thread.

Other online TechSpot guides Here.

Enjoy your Stay :)