By Poppa Bear
Oct 28, 2008
  1. Hi Everybody, :wave:

I'm Poppa Bernie Bear, and I don't think I've done a really proper intro, so here goes. I'm 68 years of age, live by my lonesome, and almost fully retired. Apart from the normy stuff of shopping, cooking, washing etc, PCs are my hobby. I'm also in a self-help fellowship, with a 12 step program, so the phone's always ringing or people are dropping in for a coffee, which means I usually don't get much time to myself till 2am - 6am. I'm doing this post at 2.45am Perth time, West Australia.

My first introduction to anything even hinting at being a PC was a Hewlett-Packhard programmable calculator, which I've still got. It's 34 years old and still works a treat. And if you want to call that a free plug for HP go ahead. As far as I'm concerned when it comes to printers I wouldn't even bother with any other brand.

I have no direct technical qualifications with computers, but back in 1982 I completed three quarters of a degree in Electronic Engineering... ie finished all the electrical engineering, maths, and laboratory units, but lost interest half way through the electronics and programming units. Even so, it gave me a fairly good background for understanding what's going on, especially with hardware.

Being a bit of stick in the mud, I once vowed I'd never own a PC, as I didn't want to get caught up in all the hype of modern technology. About 10 years back, my son told me his friend was upgrading to a new PC and offered to sell his old one with all the fruit, for a very cheap price, and would I like to go halves in buying it.

I was absolutely adamant I wouldn't touch it, and lo and behold, two weeks later I was the proud half-owner of a 4GB hard-drive PC with Win98 on it. And no idea how to use it. I have early memories of doing a Word document, and after clicking the wrong thing, freaked out when suddenly all the text was 2 inches to the right of the left margin; and I had no idea what I'd done or how to get it back. And when I rang Microsoft they said if I wanted to pay a $50 fee a techo would help me.

That was 10 years ago. Today I'm inseparable from the "modern technology" of PCs and can't understand how I ever got by without one. Bit like after you get your first mobile phone and think: "How did I survive without it, even though I'm not a fireman or cop in emergency situations!"

About 6 months back I assembled my first PC from scratch, having researched and bought all the parts myself. Not bad for an "oldie" even if I do say so myself. It's not the latest quad core extreme, but it does everything I want or need. It's both a hobby and tool for banking; doing a bit of book-keeping for myself and others; emails; letter writing; playing exciting games like reversi, LOL, (very important when you're retired), etc, etc.

In addition to the above, I really enjoy playing around with multiple partitons, hard-drives and operating systems; doing a little DOS to simulate PC crashes and rescues; as well as creating ghost back-up images of hard-drives. A few years back, after losing fully-loaded operating systems on several occasions due to viruses, I did my first ghost image with Norton Ghost. Further on, when I got my first SATA hard-drive, Norton was totally incompatible. I then upgraded to NTI and thought that was brilliant. But when I got Vista Ultimate, NTI didn't support it, so I moved on again, this time to Acronis, and I've never looked back. I totally recommend it... so simple, versatile and with many more options.

I've never belonged to anything like Techspot before, having been a bit of a loner all my life, but I'm really enjoying the experience. And I have to say it's nice to belong to such a well run organisation, with common sense boundaries which prevent the "free for alls" that are apparent in other forums. This was a major reason I never got into them. And of course the technical advice and back-up is top shelf. Ten out of ten to Techspot. As Bugs Bunny would say: "Yibbida, yibbida... that's all folks! Cheers Bernie
  2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Hi Poppa Bear :wave:

Welcome to [​IMG] :grinthumb

Please read how to post a new thread in this Guide

Before posting please read all the Posting Guidelines

To access technical support please go to the Forums

You can access many other online TechSpot guides Here

Enjoy your Stay :)
  3. tkdbax

tkdbax TS Rookie

Welcome to TechSpot
  4. Poppa Bear

Poppa Bear TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 237   +7

Hi tkdbax

Thanks for the welcome. Must admit it's a bit daunting finding your way around threads and shortcuts and links etc. Hope you're finding the way OK.

Cheers PB :grinthumb
  5. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,495

I dont normally comment on these welcome posts. But yours gave me a good laugh, and you seem like a good person to have on a forum.

Welcome to techspot.

6. Poppa Bear

To Sean

Thanks Sean,

Nice to be aboard, and glad that you got a bit of a chuckle out of my intro. The older you get the more you realise life's too short to take things too seriously... especially me! Hope all goes well for you.

Cheers Bernie :wave:
  7. momok

momok TS Rookie Posts: 2,265

Hiya Poppa Bear. I see you've begun to be pretty active and contributive with your posts already. Keep up the good work! See you around =)
  8. Poppa Bear

To momok

Thanks momok, :grinthumb

Have to say I'm really enjoying the experience. It's a real blast! Hope I can make some small positive contribution that might help someone.

9. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Well without you, there would not have been a "How to post a New Thread" Guide

Which presently over 200 members have viewed!

So I thank-you for your original question :grinthumb
  10. Poppa Bear

Hi Kimsland, :)

Thanks for the encouragement. And thanks for your patience with my accidental repeated questions, and for all the tech info you've provided.

Bye the bye, you've got my full support in respect of the issue re "Open Mindedness" concerning posts and threads. It was plain as the nose on your face what you were saying, but don't think other parties really wanted to hear.

Cheers PB
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.