TechSpot

Introduction

By GSteve
Sep 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. :) Greetings from Florida.
    I am a newbie in training, and I will be seeking assistance with malware removal.
    There are many things in life to be thankful for, and TechSpot is one of them - along with forum participants who are so willing to help others.
    My advance thanks and best wishes to all.
    GSteve

2. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,106   +97

Welcome to Techspot :) It's nice to see someone else here from Florida.

If you need assistance with Virus/Malware removal, please follow the steps in this thread first, and we can go from there.

3. GSteve

GSteve TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

Steps 4 and 5 of 8-Step Process Not Clear

Thanks for your reply.
    I need clarification concerning steps 4 and 5 of the 8-step cleaning process.

Third and fourth lines of Step 4 instructs to disconnect from the Internet and disable all active protection. Next to last line of Step 4 instructs to (re)enable all active protection (after completing the GMER run) with no mention of reconnecting to Internet.

First line of Step 5 instructs to download DDS (which obviously would not be possible without reconnecting to Internet). No mention of disabling active (antivirus) protection or disconnecting from Internet after downloading DDS, but last line of Step 5 instructs to (re)enable antivirus protection and reconnect to Internet.

I could make assumptions, but I'm aware of the slang definition of the word 'assume' and feel the need to be certain in this malware removal process......

Thanks.

4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

Because this forum is for introductions only, please post your question in the Virus and Malware Removal forum where it will be seen by the appropriate members.