TechSpot

Introduction

By Cams
Nov 24, 2006
  1. Hi folks

I've been registered at Techspot for a while but haven't posted much. I got some great help here a while back troubleshooting a hardware-related BSoD issue, which thankfully is now resolved after over two years of diagnostics, swapping memory, video card, PSU, etc. It turns out that the motherboard had faulty RAM slots - who knew!

I get the Techspot newsletter by email and, unlike most email newsletters I receive, this one was formatted in such a way that the interesting info was easy to see and I often clicked off to read some news item or other.

I've just discovered the Sage Firefox plugin for RSS feeds and that way I can subscribe to the Techspot forums without having physically to come to the site. That might make it a bit more sticky for me.

Geek wise, I'm fairly techie and a dyed-in-the-wool Windows guy. I cut my teeth on Windows 98 - boy was that ever a steep learning curve! I moved on through Windows 2000 to XP and have been using XP Pro since SP1 came out and it has served me well. I don't anticipate jumping to Vista any time soon. An interesting new development for me is the impending arrival of my first ever Mac - a Core 2 MacBook! I'm a bit wary of the switch to OSX, so much so that I added Parallels and a copy of XP Home to my order!

Folks at work think I'm a real whizz with computers, but I find that it's more about knowing how to find solutions than it is actually knowing them. That's where the Internet has been so valuable to geeks.

I'd love to post more - my favourite tech forum used to be the Help With This Blasted Computer Board on www.fool.co.uk. It was fairly low volume when I started visiting there back in my Win98 days, but over time the volume of traffic got too high for me to keep up with.

I always feel guilty about coming in to ask for help when I'm not visiting at other times, so hopefully the RSS feed will let me see posts that I think I can help with.

I spend most of my driving and kitchen time listening to podcasts. I started with Security Now and moved through that to TWiT, This Week in Media, Windows Weekly, the iLifeZone, MacBreak Weekly, dl.tv and CommandN. Bascially all the TWiT casts and a few others. I suppose it's no wonder that I've ended up ordering my first Mac then. Those guys use Macs primarily, although I know that Leo Laporte is a Windows user too -- he just doesn't publicise it so much.

My other passion in life is acoustic guitars. There are many forums for that too (I even run my own!), and most of my forum time would go into them. Of late though, I've been spending less time in the guitar forums too, mainly due to being overloaded with work.

Oh, and I love the SlimDevices Squeezbox3. I have two: one in the living room hooked up to my amp, and another in the kitchen with JBL speakers. I have a Linux server for serving music to the Squeezeboxes and have ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC. It has revolutionized the way I listen to music.

Bio wise, I'm a Scotsman living in Luxembourg, been here for nearly 6 years and am dying to move back to Scotland. One day we will do that.

Back to work then.

Cams

2. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,967   +9

Hi Cams and Welcome to TS!! :)

That was a big introduction lol :) Nice to see you around here!

Regards :wave:

3. N1Hawk

N1Hawk TS Rookie Posts: 222

Hello! :) *waves* Welcome to Techspot!! :)

4. Cams

Cams TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 27

Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.