Invader Zim is returning to Nickelodeon as a TV movie

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Invader Zim, the short-run animated Nickelodeon series that eventually became a cult classic, is making a comeback. According to a recent report from Entertainment Weekly, the network has greenlit plans for a 90-minute television movie starring much of the original voice cast.

The series, which originally aired on Nickelodeon in the early 2000s, featured a bumbling alien named Zim tasked with infiltrating our society to prepare for a takeover / enslave humanity. The show was cancelled in 2002 despite the fact that it won an Emmy Award reportedly due to budget cuts and declining ratings.

The publication notes that several of the show’s original voice cast members including Richard Horvitz (Zim), Rikki Simons (GIR), Andy Berman (Dib) and Melissa Fahn (Gaz) have signed on for the film project.

Invader Zim is the third Nickelodeon animated series to get a new lease on life. Last year, the network revealed it was working on Hey Arnold!: The Jungle Movie which will serve as the definitive series finale as well as a one-hour special for Rocko’s Modern Life.

Paramount, meanwhile, is said to be working on a feature film called NickToons starring a collection of nostalgia-inducing animated characters from shows like Ren & Stimpy, Aaahh! Real Monsters, Rocko’s Modern Life and Rugrats.

Permalink to story.

This is very exciting, but I doubt it will be everything that the original was. I've never understood why Nickelodeon hasn't made a channel specifically for their old cartoons. They have no problem showing all the old nick at night shows non stop on cable.

This is very exciting, but I doubt it will be everything that the original was. I've never understood why Nickelodeon hasn't made a channel specifically for their old cartoons. They have no problem showing all the old nick at night shows non stop on cable.

I agree but atleast they are sometimes on Nicktoons and TeenNick. But not enough.

Back