Invalid boot disk, insert system disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimesy69

Hi all, i have searched the forums before posting this to see if i could find anything similar but to no avail.

My problem is as follows.

When i boot my machine without the Xp pro disc in the Cd-rom Drive i get the invalid boot disk error after post.

IF i leave the xp pro disc in the cd-rom drive, and do not boot from it, my system will then finish posting and boot as normal.

I have tried recovery console:

chkdsk /p
Fixmbr
Fixboot

In that order again...to no avail.

I also flashed my motherboard bios (asus m2n4-sli). To no avail.

I am thinking my HDD is not saving the MBR for some strange reason, and before i replace it, i would like to hear your views.

Thanks

Couldn't this be a disc fault
Have you confirmed the disc works in another computer ?

Also
Check if the CD/DVD drive jumper is set to Master or Slave or Cable Select
I have seen issues before when Cable Select works and systems that Master works - very strange I know.
You may need to check Hard Drive as well

Also confirm the data cable for Hard Drive and CD/DVD is in the correct order.

The Disc works fine. I am a systems technician and use the disc at least 3 to 4 times a week.

The Jumper settings are definitely in the correct seating arrangements.

Nothing Hardware wise has changed in my rig for about 2 months.

Grimesy

OK another option

It is possible the CD\DVD Drive has a fault, where reading discs in Windows works, but booting (reading first sectors) of the disc doesn't work.

I'd suspect you would have another CD\DVD Drive that you could mount and confirm

No i have only tried flashing to the latest revision, i don't think there is any option to restore to factory default, however i will take a look.

Thanks

back up data
reformat drive
may have lost boot as system
did you have another drive removed before this started
when installing any new MS OS only have 1 drive in it that has no pre-formatted partitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back