invalid system disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinb@llz

ok, 'INVALID SYSTEM DISK" on boot up.
when i boot from the floppy, the C DRIVE directory
just has 4 files with approximately the same file size 500k or so, and the file names are just a single ASCII chracter, no extension.

such as:

ä 500,976
ÿ 500,543

and so on.
windows 98 was loaded on the drive.
no other files in the directory other than 4 or 5 similar to the ones listed above.
ran ACRONIS RECOVERY EXPERT from a different drive with the affected one as the slave, and ACRONIS said there was no unallocated space found on the drive and terminated.

any ideas?

Looks like you might have a corrupt MBR.
Put in the W98 startup-floppy and boot up from floppy.
Then type in: fdisk /mbr and press Enter.
If you are lucky, all your data is back. DON'T try any Norton programs on your PC to recover anything.

Could be corrupt MBR, or corrupt file allocation table, or corrupt root directory. Running scandisk (if you know which 'problems' to fix) could help too.

While I'm sure something is corrupt as mentioned above, the true cause of the corruption is what you should worry about. Virus.. Bad hard disk.. Bad memory... There are several things you should look into.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

Run one of these utilities to verify your drive is indeed good, before you waste your time trying to recover your files.

Thanks to all that replied.

Scandisk straightened everything out. Lots of busted up files but I did manage to save all the important stuff.
Now to format and move on, THANKS AGAIN!

tt

Thanks for posting the solution, hopefully it will help someone in the future.
Hope to see you stick around pinb@llz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back