Invisible Backup of Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yello88

I’m using an Intel X25-M Mainstream 80 GB SSD, and running Win7 Pro x64. When I first installed windows and all the drivers that came with my custom built pc, the SSD had about half of its memory full. That’s 40 GB of an 80 GB Solid State drive used for just the OS? Now, I opened the drive highlighted everything that appeared, yes even hidden items, and it only accounted for about 23 GB. My question is where is the other 17 GB of my SSD? Is Windows hiding that from me so it can restore itself? Maybe shadow copies? I don’t know. I’m learning how to use Win7, so I have Professional. Are there certain components I should disable or know about? I have a RAID for my storage purposes, so I would prefer windows to store all my documents/pictures/movies on the raid. I think I found the way to set that as default, by changed the “libraries” settings, but I’m not quite sure I did it properly. I also went into “security” settings and changed the “Back Up” location to the RAID. After all this, where is the other 17 GB or so, of my SSD? Thanks for your help in advance on this matter.

You may have to do a new setup of the drive from scratch, as that is a hard drive or formatting issue, rather than hidden files.

I realize that advertised 80gb is more like 78.something. Windows recognizes that I'm using more than just what I have installed on the drive. Would reformatting and reinstalling win7 be the answer then?

Hard drives are so cheap nowadays... why not invest in at least a 160 GB or 250 GB... $45 to $60 at online stores.

But you do need a complete reformat and reinstall, methinks... if you are going to all that work, get a larger drive... if you are in the USA

Please do keep in my windows do manage page file on the OS partition, in your case that will be your SSD. Usually it is set at RAM x 1.5+. Not to mention space taken by restore points in the protected system folder. These are super hidden and can't be shown by simply choosing show hidden files. You can choose to see them but I would not recommend tinkering with such settings, and would rather just leave them alone.

IMHO you have nothing lost, hence nothing need to be found, Regards.

Thanks Archean, for clearing that up, i forgot about the paging files. Would it effect the OS if i moved those files? i have 12 gb of ram, and 16 gb on 80 does take a chunk out.

You can move your paging file to your other HDD; but I would rather advise you to install your applications/games on the other HDD instead of that and leave the paging file on SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back