iOS 10 adoption rate surges past 50 percent in less than a month

Shawn Knight

Staff member

More than half of Apple’s iDevices are now running the latest version of iOS according to official data from Apple.

On its developer support website, Apple notes that 54 percent of devices that have accessed the App Store as of October 7 were using iOS 10. That’s an impressive accomplishment considering the update arrived less than a month ago although it’s a bit lower than third-party estimates from Fiksu and Mixpanel which pinned adoption at 66.7 percent and 65.38 percent, respectively.

Apple’s data also reveals that 38 percent of iDevices were running iOS 9 as of October 7 with the remaining eight percent of devices using iOS 8 or earlier.

As TechCrunch highlights, Apple didn’t prompt existing iDevice users to upgrade to iOS 10 until two weeks after the operating system launched in an effort to reduce the strain on its infrastructure and its Apple Care support teams.

To put the figures into perspective, Google’s latest mobile OS – Android Nougat – was officially released on August 22 but hasn't made a blip on the Android developer dashboard. In fairness, Google’s data is a bit outdated as it was last collected during a seven-day period ending on September 5.

That said, iOS 10 adoption is higher than Android Marshmallow (18.7 percent) which launched a year ago and Lollipop (35 percent) that came out in 2014. In fact, iOS 10 distribution tops those two versions combined.

Permalink to story.

I am having trouble making sense of this 'achievement'.
Apple users tend to trade in freedom for convenience, and Android users trade in convenience for freedom.

1) Android devices are cheaper/varied and many tablets and phones can't get the latest Android OS, this has happened to my devices for years. My HP Slate 4200+ is stuck on Jelly Bean and thats all it can handle.
2) Android users are usually more freedom based and don't care to upgrade at first chance. And the latest OS upgrade can vary, on my S5 it was instant last time but my more powerful Samsung Galaxy S didn't get the notification until weeks later.
3) Apple users are walked on a leash and this follows suit when an upgrade appears, they are more apt to do it since they like things automatically done for them anyways.

If anything this article shows how faithful Apple users are with their devices/phones and the automation they expect from their devices. There is nothing wrong with that, but rewarding sheep for being sheep is not an achievement.

Last edited:
Apple is following Microsoft's windows 10 deployment process and forcing it on users ^^

Jokes aside I accidentally upgraded my work iPhone last week when typing an email. The update available popup was conveniently in the way and I clicked it...

Apple is following Microsoft's windows 10 deployment process and forcing it on users ^^

Jokes aside I accidentally upgraded my work iPhone last week when typing an email. The update available popup was conveniently in the way and I clicked it...

You definitely have that backwards. Microsoft has been trying to be like Apple for some time now. Just look at the shift from windows 7 to windows 10. In fact I would say Microsoft is taking the worst aspects of mobile and bringing them to desktop, where they don't fit. Forced vague updates , forced update to the latest OS in order to use latest apps (or DX 12 in this case), introduction of significant telemetry with limited options to turn it off. They even managed to forced ads onto their start and lock screen even though those are only present on super cheap tablets like Amazon's low-end sponsored kindle. It's funny, Amazon gives you a discount on the device and their OS is free but Microsoft's operating system is still full price. Microsoft is double dipping, they charge for their operating system and are also trying to make money the way free operating systems do, through ads and a unified store.

Back