TechSpot

iOS 7 passcode bypass flaw grants access to photos, e-mail, more

By Shawn Knight
Sep 19, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A vulnerability in Apple’s new mobile operating system allows anyone to bypass the lockscreen on an iPhone or iPad and gain access to a user’s photos, e-mails, text messages, Facebook, Twitter and more. Apple said they are aware of the...

Read more

2. m4a4

m4a4 TS Addict Posts: 536   +149

Certainly doesn't help apples sloppy security record...

3. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Kudos to the one who have find the security flaw.. who would have taught.

4. fredderf81

fredderf81 TS Rookie Posts: 27   +19

Ugh...look at that screen!!! it look just like android! and if they can't secure something as easy as a passcode what makes anyone think I want a record of my FINGERPRINT on their phone?!?!

veLa likes this.
  5. PC nerd

PC nerd TS Booster Posts: 326   +38

I'm not surprised. Crapple have a bad history with user security.

6. "Apple said they are aware of the security flaw"

....holy mother, pigs do fly! Did they actually admit something?

7. ....lol@fanbois who cr4p on Microsoft. Apple sux far worse at everything except consume hypnosis.

8. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TS Enthusiast Posts: 196

Great job, Apple!

9. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 191   +13

Wow...tried it and I could do it. Nice...just hacked my own cellphone...

10. I managed to do it, but then what? u can see tha apps that are running, but cannot click on them or even see anything on the display above the app icon in that mode.
    So where is the security issue? (except that u can see what apps the phone is running)???

11. Same here, you can see the other apps, but you can't click into them. All the security flaw seems to be is what apps he's running, can't really do much else. Am I missing something or is this article a bit misleading?

12. I ran into the same issue. I am using a iphone 4 but was able to get into the camera app. From there you can view or delete all the videos and pictures. As well you can email the pictures out from the email client on the phone. While emailing you can delete the image attached to the email letting you send an email from that person to anyone. Also from that screen you can view all the users contacts and email addresses. But other than that I was unable to do anything other than that.

13. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Booster Posts: 981   +97

^Guests:
    Read the first paragraph, and click on the the source link.
    You're welcome.

14. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 911   +22

Reminds me of when att came out with ess 1a payphones. Ess stands for electronic switching system, all previous phone switches used mechanical relays, not a computer. If you placed a toll call and the operator came on to request additional money, if you pressed the switchhook for exactly 1/2 second and picked it up, the call would go thru.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.