TechSpot

iOS 7's Activation Lock feature responsible for fewer stole iPhones

By Shawn Knight
Jun 19, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Smartphone kill switches may very well be mandatory in the future but are the solutions already on the market - namely, the Activation Lock feature in iOS 7 - actually doing anything to curb smartphone theft in high-risk areas? It...

Read more

2. Rippleman

Rippleman TS Guru Posts: 559   +171

If only everyone knew about this. It would result in almost ZERO percent of iphones being stolen. The only ones that would be stolen are people hoping that the owner doesn't have an icloud name.

3. Nobina

Nobina TS Evangelist Posts: 845   +335

How is software preventing someone from stealing? I know that robbers know that they can't use the stolen phone now but even if you have implemented lock features on your phone it can still be stolen and if they cannot use the phone they can just destroy it so you don't get it back.

4. Rippleman

theft is a result of greed and incentive. If your end result nets you no value or no use of the item stolen, then incentive becomes zero.

5. Nobina

Yeah, thief doesn't have any use from the item but still someone doesn't have his phone anymore.

6. Hexic

Hexic TS Addict Posts: 283   +132

Fewer stolen iPhones* :p

7. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 2,550   +852

If the item is useless the theft is pointless, so the thief wont steal it anymore.

8. Rippleman

you are missing the next logical step... knowing that there is no point to steal another one.

9. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,541   +2,337

My iPhone is internally lined with primer cord – thieve at your own risk.

10. Nobina

No I got that, but where I'm from the thieves really don't care, they won't stop stealing cause there's always a chance that the persons phone is not protected, they are desprate people anyway, especially cause of economical situation here, but I can see the point.

11. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,476   +2,034

But I thought the whole point of an iPhones existence was to curb thieves stealing Android and Windows phones...

12. Surely its the popularity of the I-phones dropping that has resulted in less thefts.