TechSpot

iOS 8.0.1 will reportedly fix issues with visual voicemail, keyboard, VPN, and more

1. Apple has already prepared the first maintenance update for iOS 8, its latest mobile operating system, according to a MacRumors report. Dubbed iOS 8.0.1, the update addresses several bugs, including problems with:

Read more

2. AddUmm

AddUmm TS Rookie

Don't upgrade to 8.0 wait for 8.0.1.... I'm running a 5s and was silly enough to install the update yesterday along with all my other devices at home for my patch Tuesday. That was a fail. My phones been such a pain in the *** since then, I've been poking and pounding my screen hoping for some response out of it. Ugh. Can't wait till my carrier pushes out 8.0.1. Apple needs Jobs back, Cook is a clown and taking Apple down the Ballmer route. Maybe iOS 8 will become the Vistas of iOS.
    Just read some initial impressions on he BB Passport sounds like a productivity winner to me. I need to get rid of this iToy.

3. Don't plan on Jobs returning anytime soon...

4. DanMaze

DanMaze TS Rookie

We have 4 iPhone 5s' and two Ipads, including 1 that uses VPN regularly. All upgraded to iOS 8. None of us have experienced any issues at all.. Is it possible that it has something to do with carrier adjustments?

5. yukka

yukka TechSpot Paladin Posts: 828   +54

I have experienced the Safari video issue - videos stopped playing and rebooting or closing Safari made no different. Also I bought Swype keyboard which is very good but the phone occasionally forgets I've selected it and returns me to the default keyboard until I reselect it again.

6. Will be hard to fix the bending problem with a software update. ;)

I work in a large IT shop of F300 company that develops both Android/iOS apps and we are finding more issues with our apps on iOS8. Apple needs to ensure backwards compatibility with iOS7 apps. iOS fragmentation is getting worse while Android is dealing with theirs. We used to UAT (user acceptance test) on just a few iOS devices and a bunch of Android devices. Now we just test Android devices with each version of Android and are now adding more iOS devices. IE, iPhone 2/3 and older iPads can't get iOS8 meanwhile Google has put out the same version of Google Services (APIs that devs use) across all versions back to Android 2.x - only about 5% of Android devices don't have 2.x or higher.

The result is that newer Android apps are more stable on old version of Android than newer iOS apps across new or older versions of iOS. There are other tests that show iOS apps are more buggy than Android across many OS versions/devices.

7. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Someone at work bought an iPhone 6 for their son but he has been unable to use it as cannot install the sim as you need a special screwdriver. I must say I was little surprised. Has anyone else had this issue?

8. It's the same SIM installation as all the previous iPhones: push pin into the side tray. It's on the right side of iPhone 6. There will be a push pin inside the iPhone box the phone came in.

9. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,149   +1,424

I upgraded iPhone 5 and iPad 4 to iOS 8 on the day it went out. None of the reported issues were encountered. It all must be related to your provider + the phone generation + series + software installed + available space + God knows what else. All mine devices work perfectly with iOS 8.

10. valentyn0

valentyn0 TS Rookie Posts: 16

My phone lags a lot after getting iOS 8.. great..

dennis777 and Xclusiveitalian like this.
  11. Railman

I shall mention that but I suspect it was missing from the box!

12. khha4113

khha4113 TS Rookie

It's only affected new Iphones 6/6+.

13. 't realize educated people bought underpowered and overpriced products. I guess education doesn't necessarily prevent ignorance.

14. But, but....Jobs said he would return to us, to judge people's sins

15. Ah heelll no!

16. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

That funny looking little thing with the sharp point that comes bundled with all iPhone 6's is called a sim ejector, tell that person, or maybe you can show them (I assume you have more intelligence than typical iSheep) how to shove it into the little hole on the sim tray and push, the sim tray will then pop out allowing a sim card to be inserted then stand back and watch the incredulous look on their face.

17. Railman

Ironically I did mention that tool but apparently the item was probably thrown out with the packaging!

18. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,310   +56

19. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,485   +2,038

Hopefully they'll have the sense to use a pin then.

20. Railman

They just ordered a new one! I would have used a metal paper clip but I am a very practical person.

21. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 1,038   +269

And if he does return, he will tell everyone that this problem is not the fault of Apple, its their fault. They are holding it wrong! :p