iOS 8 will be able to scan and enter credit card data using the iPhone's camera

Justin Kahn

ios iphone

Apple unveiled its next versions of iOS and OSX this week at WWDC and more information regarding what will be coming when the new operating systems go public is starting to surface. In iOS 8 Apple is introducing a new feature that will allow a device's camera to read credit card numbers rather than users having to key them in manually when making a purchase, according to 9to5Mac.

The new feature is integrated directly into Safari on iOS 8 where users will be prompted with a "Scan Credit Card" feature when presented with a credit card field on websites. Apple then uses character recognition technology to auto fill data fields from the snap shot. From the sounds of it, Apple will not require support from retail websites and others that require credit card number input. The feature, not unlike what Apple is currently doing with iTunes gift cards and Apple IDs, will also work for expiration date and CVV fields. 

For some, this may not seem all that useful considering in many cases users simply enter their credit card data once and have Apple's Passwords & AutoFill system take care of it from there. However, Apple is also introducing the camera scanning feature inside its AutoFill system to allow users to use the new tech to input data from there as well, according to the report.

For all the latest on this week's Apple news head over to our WWDC 2014 coverage page.

Permalink to story.

Magic! Absolutely Magic!

Maybe one of these days they'll figure a way to use your phone as a credit card to pay at the register with NFC.

Inb4 massive security concerns

Exactly. I can't wait to see how this gets abused.

Abused... Their will be measures to prevent hackers from getting this info, its not any different from someone takin a picture of a credit card.

There are no massive security concerns its no different from having peoples auto-fill system fill it in for them so I seriously cant see why anyone would think there are any security concerns at all.

Abused... Their will be measures to prevent hackers from getting this info..

Some people just want to watch the world Apple burn. I'm sure the team that actually proposed this idea and then made it happen also thought about security. Especially since their keynote at WWDC mentioned security many times.

What I expect from iOS 8 is the ability of it's os able to connect to googleplay then can download/install apps from there

Abused... Their will be measures to prevent hackers from getting this info, its not any different from someone takin a picture of a credit card.

There are no massive security concerns its no different from having peoples auto-fill system fill it in for them so I seriously cant see why anyone would think there are any security concerns at all.

Of course...because everything tech related is absolutely, perfectly, no doubt about it, couldn't happen in a billion years,100% secure. :eek:

Of course...because everything tech related is absolutely, perfectly, no doubt about it, couldn't happen in a billion years,100% secure. :eek:

Your on about the wrong article and wrong person mate sorry to notify you of such a dissapointing post you just made.

Waiting for the inevitable facebook posts of pictures of peoples credit card details :)

Not sure if this applies to all banks but after I make an online payment I am taken to a bank password screen where I must enter certain letters and numbers from a pre chosen password to confirm my identity. Rendering this whole idea pointless.

Last edited:
Your on about the wrong article and wrong person mate sorry to notify you of such a dissapointing post you just made.

I'm sorry. Did I make the Apple fanboiz juice their panties :p ? It doesn't matter how secure you think Apple's operation systems and applications are, If someone wants it bad enough, they will hack it one way or another. Same with Windows and Linux. When some company claims they have great security, there is always one guy who will take up that challenge and attempt to hack it and usually it gets done.

I'm sorry. Did I make the Apple fanboiz juice their panties :p ? It doesn't matter how secure you think Apple's operation systems and applications are, If someone wants it bad enough, they will hack it one way or another. Same with Windows and Linux. When some company claims they have great security, there is always one guy who will take up that challenge and attempt to hack it and usually it gets done.

I'm sorry are you new? Because I think you just called me an apple fan which makes me think you are new specially to the site.

Apple didn't claim they have great security but I am pretty sure they dont have terrible programmers like Microsoft does, I'm surprised you think that apple are too incompitent to make something secure which I highly doubt that they are.

So unless you actually bring anything to the table in terms of information or facts then please just leave and never come back.

I'm sorry are you new? Because I think you just called me an apple fan which makes me think you are new specially to the site.

Apple didn't claim they have great security but I am pretty sure they dont have terrible programmers like Microsoft does, I'm surprised you think that apple are too incompitent to make something secure which I highly doubt that they are.

So unless you actually bring anything to the table in terms of information or facts then please just leave and never come back.

1. No, I am not new. (HINT: Might wanna check my profile before asking)

2. I never directly called you anything. My 'juiced panties' remark was in general.

3. " I think you just called me an apple fan which makes me think you are new specially to the site."
Coherent sentences really help the reader understand what you are trying to say.

4. It is a FACT that anything can and will be hacked if it is important enough. Sure it may take some time, but there is always someone trying to exploit a program or operating system if it means they may gain something from it. It does not matter what company made it.

5. "So unless you actually bring anything to the table in terms of information or facts"

I believe I have brought both information AND facts to the conversation. Just because they may not meet your criteria and/or meet with your approval does not mean that they aren't facts and information.

6. " please just leave and never come back."

Oh my. I don't meet with your approval. I have failed as a person. (LMAO).
It is real simple. If you do not like what I have to say:

a) Please use the handy dandy 'BLOCK' button.
or
b) Ignore me and don't respond to my posts.

Trying to appear like an internet forum tough guy just makes you look foolish. Have a nice day.:)

1. No, I am not new. (HINT: Might wanna check my profile before asking)

2. I never directly called you anything. My 'juiced panties' remark was in general.

3. " I think you just called me an apple fan which makes me think you are new specially to the site."
Coherent sentences really help the reader understand what you are trying to say.

4. It is a FACT that anything can and will be hacked if it is important enough. Sure it may take some time, but there is always someone trying to exploit a program or operating system if it means they may gain something from it. It does not matter what company made it.

5. "So unless you actually bring anything to the table in terms of information or facts"

I believe I have brought both information AND facts to the conversation. Just because they may not meet your criteria and/or meet with your approval does not mean that they aren't facts and information.

6. " please just leave and never come back."

Oh my. I don't meet with your approval. I have failed as a person. (LMAO).
It is real simple. If you do not like what I have to say:

a) Please use the handy dandy 'BLOCK' button.
or
b) Ignore me and don't respond to my posts.

Trying to appear like an internet forum tough guy just makes you look foolish. Have a nice day.:)

4 Yes anything can be hacked but you made it sound like apple dont know how to secure things, there a reason why apple's os has around 1,000 virus's whilst microsofts os has around 50million virus's, the bigger the fish the bigger the prize.

5. No you didnt bring anything you just said anything can be hacked and you made it seem like this new product which isnt even out yet is still riddled with bugs, hackers etc. when in fact it probably isnt... I am no apple fanboy by anyones imagination but I know a good product when I see it and its pretty ballsy to say its not secure...

internet forum tough guy.. who?

Back