iOS 9 already on 50% of devices, Apple touts fastest ever adoption

Scorpus

Staff member

Apple has announced today that iPhone and iPad owners have been more eager to update their devices to a new version of iOS than ever before, with iOS 9 – released to the public just five days ago – now installed on more than 50 percent of all iOS devices.

Senior VP of Marketing at Apple, Phil Schiller, said that the new operating system is "off to an amazing start, on pace to be downloaded by more users than any other software release in Apple’s history."

History tells us that iOS update adoption tends to hit 50 to 70 percent reasonably quickly, with iOS 8 getting installed on 46% percent of devices within a week of its launch. Installation rates tend to slow after this point, but within a few months the vast majority of iOS users are running the latest version of the OS.

Apple also announced that the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus will be available in the company's retail stores on September 25th from 8:00am local time. This is the same date customers' online pre-orders should start arriving at their doorsteps, though if you haven't ordered one just yet, you'll be able to queue up to purchase one at your local store on launch day.

Permalink to story.

They shouldn't have told me that the iPhone will be available on the 25th, now I won't be able to sleep until then because I'm **yawn** so excited. :D

Well, iOS9 fixes a problem iOS8 had causing troubles and slowdowns with wifi and internet. So yeah if 46% devices got buggy iOS8 within first week I understand iOS9 get more.

Apple gas made some good releases but most people just want to know what's next. The excitement just isn't as exciting.

I'm holding out until the beginning of Oct. with that said, there hasn't really been any known issues wit iOS 9 (so far). I'll give it another week before Make the jump.

Back